Options

Introduction - Blake Pollard

Hi Everyone,

I'm a first year graduate student in physics at UC Riverside. I did my undergrad in Applied Physics at Columbia. I worked for two years as an undergrad at something called the Earth Institute, http://earth.columbia.edu/ . Lots of smart people there are trying to tackle all kinds of interesting global problems in sustainability, the environment, and economics. I worked with satellite data (Did you know you can get (almost) daily multispectral images of the whole planet at 30m resolution for free! see MODIS, Landsat). I always wanted to work in theoretical physics, but I also want to learn how to use technology, math, and physics to make more immediate impacts on our world and the way we understand it. I spent the past year surfing in Hawaii (and working a bit at the physics department out there). I read 'This Week's Finds' as an undergrad and was very interested to learn about Professor Baez's shift towards 'Green Mathematics'. I'm excited to be starting my PhD and also to be a part of Azimuth!

Comments

Hi,

good to meet you. Everyone's probably a bit busy at the moment (including me), so just a biref note to say hi. As a weird maths/stats/computer vision/data-crunching guy I'm very interested by the sheer amount of data that's available these days, and what interesting and, above all, useful things could be done with it. Apart from anything else, this will almost certainly be as much of a driving force in the development of high-performance computing hardware and software as the more traditional applications (simulating atom bombs, turbulent fluids, etc). It would be fascinating if you're phd work brings in actually using interesting mathematical techniques on one of the modern "firehose"'s of data.

Anyway, look forward to talking again in coming months and years.

Comment Source:Hi, good to meet you. Everyone's probably a bit busy at the moment (including me), so just a biref note to say hi. As a weird maths/stats/computer vision/data-crunching guy I'm very interested by the sheer amount of data that's available these days, and what interesting and, above all, useful things could be done with it. Apart from anything else, this will almost certainly be as much of a driving force in the development of high-performance computing hardware and software as the more traditional applications (simulating atom bombs, turbulent fluids, etc). It would be fascinating if you're phd work brings in actually using interesting mathematical techniques on one of the modern "firehose"'s of data. Anyway, look forward to talking again in coming months and years.

Nice you joined the project! Bigdata is interesting!

Comment Source:Nice you joined the project! Bigdata is interesting!
    edited October 2012

By the way, Blake - there are at least 3 Azimuth members based in the New York City area:

• Allan Erskine lives in the Boerum Hill area, and work near Madison Sq Park.

• David Tanzer works mid-town East, and lives in Park Slope.

• Cameron Smith works at the Bergman Lab at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.

The first two were planning a get-together and considering talking to people at the Earth Institute. Maybe they should talk to you about the possibility of having occasional meetings in some room at the Earth Institute, and/or getting in touch with some people you know there! Do you plan to go back to the Earth Institute now and then? E.g., do you have relatives that you visit in New York?

Comment Source:By the way, Blake - there are at least 3 Azimuth members based in the New York City area: * [[Allan Erskine]] lives in the Boerum Hill area, and work near Madison Sq Park. * [[David Tanzer]] works mid-town East, and lives in Park Slope. * [[Cameron Smith]] works at the Bergman Lab at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. The first two were [planning a get-together and considering talking to people at the Earth Institute](http://forum.azimuthproject.org/discussion/705/exponential-azimuth/?Focus=7717#Comment_7717). Maybe they should talk to you about the possibility of having occasional meetings in some room at the Earth Institute, and/or getting in touch with some people you know there! Do you plan to go back to the Earth Institute now and then? E.g., do you have relatives that you visit in New York?