Options

A good term for the revolution

In another thread, John said:

I’d like us to invent a good term for the revolution that’s starting to happen. The Recognition of Planetary Finiteness? The Sustainability Revolution? (The second one is optimistic, I’d sort of like a term that applies regardless of how much we screw things up.) When The Shit Hits The Fan?

I like the phrase "The Bottleneck Years" as described here:

The term ‘bottleneck’ refers to the ecological crisis humans are experiencing as resource limits, climate change, species extinction and environmental degradation, exacerbated by population pressure, make daily life more difficult for increasingly large numbers of people.

The term ‘bottleneck’ has been in the air for some time, but one reference to it would be E.O Wilson, The Future of Life [ISBN: 0-679-76811-4] page xxiii. “The race is now on between the technoscientific forces that are destroying the living environment and those that can be harnessed to save it. We are inside a bottleneck of overpopulation and wasteful consumption.”

There is currently a degree of controversy and denial, primarily driven by vested interests, about the reality of the crisis. I think that in the coming years, probably after it is too late to do anything significant to avoid it, there will be a general recognition of the gravity of the situation in which we have placed ourselves. These will be the Bottleneck Years proper.

Comments

edited February 2013

That's a great quote! However, I don't think the term "Bottleneck Years" will inspire many people to take action before they need to. I've come to the sad conclusion that at this stage, a lot of smart people mainly want to work on projects that sound exciting and fun. They'll actually shy away from a project if you tell them it could help lessen the magnitude of a disaster, because thinking about this makes them feel bad.

So, I'm looking for a somewhat more "inspiring" name for what's going on... and I think the right approach is to focus on what we might reasonably hope to reach after the bottleneck.

So: something like "the Biospheric Revolution", after which we treat ourselves as partners with other organisms in living on a finite-sized planet.

This could be exciting and fun.

Comment Source:That's a great quote! However, I don't think the term "Bottleneck Years" will inspire many people to take action before they need to. I've come to the sad conclusion that at this stage, a lot of smart people mainly want to work on projects that sound _exciting and fun_. They'll actually shy away from a project if you tell them it could help lessen the magnitude of a disaster, because thinking about this makes them feel bad. So, I'm looking for a somewhat more "inspiring" name for what's going on... and I think the right approach is to focus on what we might reasonably hope to reach _after_ the bottleneck. So: something like "the Biospheric Revolution", after which we treat ourselves as partners with other organisms in living on a finite-sized planet. This could be exciting and fun.