Options

TEDxTorino

Thanks to Jacob Biamonte, I got invited to give a TEDxTorino talk on 5 October 2013.

I'm not sure how "TEDx" talks differ from "TED" talks, but so far it seems like a good thing to do, and I'll be in Oxford from October 1st to October 4th helping launch the Centre for Quantum Mathematics and Computation, so it's reasonably fuel-efficient. I'd probably give something similar to my "Mathematics of Planet Earth" or "Energy, the Environment, and What We Can Do" talks.

Here's the invitation. If anyone knows about TEDx, I'd like to hear more about what it's like!

Dear Mr. Baez,

Thank you very much for your interest in our event, Mr. Biamonte kept me updated about your agenda issues. I am contacting now to you to tell you that the TEDxTorino organization decided to spread the event along 2013, so more people can attend and also others can have the opportunity to speak at the event. Due to that, in 2013 we will have not just the event on April 20th, but also two others: June 15th and October 5th. We also decided to make different formats, like the "Salon" - an informal event for a smaller audience followed by an "aperitivo".

At a TEDx Salon Event, attendees can watch TEDTalks, have discussions, and we can host a few speakers. Our idea is to have up to 4 speakers who present their own TEDx Talk, plus one speaker of the main event who can have an informal talk and participate in the final discussion.

So I wonder if you are still interested in participating in one of our further events, especially on October 5th, the main event with an audience of about 100 people, well advertised and with the attendance of Torino's community representatives.

As I told you on my previous email I think you have a very important message and I think it would be wonderful to be spread out here.

Best Regards,

Paulina Marra