Options

Virtual talk at the Open University

My "Mathematics of Planet Earth" talk at Sheffield generated this further invitation, which is very nice because it won't require traveling anywhere. Indeed, in my talk I said people like me should fly less... and afterwards Camilla Jordan came up and said she agreed.

By the way, she knows about the famous mathematician Camille Jordan, and is not related. She married someone named Jordan.

Dear John

This email is a follow up to our conversation at the British Maths Colloquium. We discussed the possibility of you doing an "eColloquium" for us. If you are still happy to do this we first need to sort out dates. It would be good if this could be in the next 2 or 3 months. I will not be available from about May 8 to May 20 or next week but outside am normally available. As I said the timing is normally 19.30 our time (British Summer time) but can be moved a little in either direction if this suits you better.

We will use software that enables audio, shares a whiteboard, shares applications and has a chat box. It can be linked to a webcam but we do not usually use this for bandwidth reasons. You need a head set (to avoid feedback) and I suspect there will be some audio delay with you in California. Slides etc can be uploaded and shown on the whiteboard. It is possible to annotate slides on the whiteboard.

Once we have agreed a date I will arrange for you to have access to the software and we can set up a practice session so that you can find how best to use the software. [Currently this is Elluminate but it is to be replaced by Blackboard Collaborate in the fairly near future.]

I very much appreciate you agreeing to do this. It will be a superb experience for our students. They are always very appreciative of these events.

With many thanks

Camilla

I'll be interested to see how well this technology works - I've never used it. Luckily she said we could test it out ahead of time. So far, in my attempts to give virtual talks, lots of unexpected problems arose because we forgot to test out everything very carefully.

Comments

edited April 2013

On 6 June, 2013, at 11:30 am my time, I'll give an eColloquium to students and staff from the Maths, Computing and Technology faculty at Open University in the United Kingdom. I will give this talk with the help of some software called Elluminate:

The Mathematics of Planet Earth

The International Mathematical Union has declared 2013 to be the year of The Mathematics of Planet Earth. The global warming crisis is part of a bigger transformation in which humanity realizes that the Earth is a finite system and that our population, energy usage, and the like cannot continue to grow exponentially. If civilization survives this transformation, it will affect mathematics — and be affected by it — just as dramatically as the agricultural revolution or industrial revolution. We cannot know for sure what the effect will be, but we can already make some guesses.

(The link is to the Sheffield version of the talk; I won't change it much.)

Comment Source:On 6 June, 2013, at 11:30 am my time, I'll give an eColloquium to students and staff from the Maths, Computing and Technology faculty at Open University in the United Kingdom. I will give this talk with the help of some software called Elluminate: **[The Mathematics of Planet Earth](http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/planet/planet_sheffield.pdf)** > The International Mathematical Union has declared 2013 to be the year of The Mathematics of Planet Earth. The global warming crisis is part of a bigger transformation in which humanity realizes that the Earth is a finite system and that our population, energy usage, and the like cannot continue to grow exponentially. If civilization survives this transformation, it will affect mathematics — and be affected by it — just as dramatically as the agricultural revolution or industrial revolution. We cannot know for sure what the effect will be, but we can already make some guesses. (The link is to the Sheffield version of the talk; I won't change it much.)