Options

Information geometry tutorial for NIPS

I seem to be approaching some sort of phase transition where people think I can say interesting things about practical topics. I recently got and accepted this invitation to give a tutorial at NIPS - Neural Information Processing Systems. I may pester David Tweed to get a sense of what this community might want to know about information geometry.

Hi John,

I'm tutorials chair for this year's NIPS conference to be held in South Lake Tahoe in December.

http://nips.cc/

Would you be interested in giving us a tutorial at NIPS on Information Geometry? There is a lot of interest in these methods in machine learning from both the optimization and statistical inference communities, I think such a tutorial would be very well received.

The NIPS tutorials are each two hours long and occur the day before the main conference (this year it will be 5th December). There are only six speakers and the sessions run in two tracks. Attendance at the main conference is normally well over a thousand people, in my experience each tutorial is often attended by several hundred people.

With your agreement, your tutorial would be videoed and made available freely after the conference.

They'd give me a hotel room for the 2 days of tutorials but not the following conference. I should probably go to some of the conference, too.

Comments

I've never been, but NIPS is a really interesting venue for statistics and decision-making.

Comment Source:I've never been, but NIPS is a really interesting venue for statistics and decision-making.
    edited April 2013

Okay, thanks - that makes me want to spend more time there, even if I have to pay for an expensive hotel.

Comment Source:Okay, thanks - that makes me want to spend more time there, even if I have to pay for an expensive hotel.