Options

Experiments in entropy as a functor

Yesterday I wrote a blog article on categories that show up in probability theory, as a kind of warmup for finishing off a paper with Tobias Fritz.

This made me want to organize some old notes on this topic. So, I just took some material from the nLab and made it into an Azimuth page:

I have mixed feelings about this material. On the one hand it's rather esoteric and doesn't yet have a "killer app" to justify it. On the other hand, it brings entropy into contact with mathematical ideas that pure mathematicians like, which should someday be useful. And it's cute.

Comments

edited June 2013

In this part:

We begin with a sadly familiar problem:

Suppose you live in a town with a limited number of tolerable restaurants. Every Friday you go out for dinner. You randomly choose a restaurant according to a certain probability distribution $P$. If you go to the $i$th restaurant, you then choose a dish from the menu according to some probability distribution $Q_i$. How surprising will your choice be, on average?

[...]

Glomming together probabilities

But the interesting thing about this problem is that it involves an operation which I'll call 'glomming together' probability distributions. First you choose a restaurant according to some probability distribution $P$ on the set of restaurants. Then you choose a meal according to some probability distribution $Q_i$. If there are $n$ restaurants in town, you wind up eating meals in a way described by some probability distribution we'll call

$$ P \circ (Q_1, \dots, Q_n )$$ A bit more formally:

Suppose $P$ is a probability distribution on the set $\{1,\dots, n\}$ and $Q_i$ are probability distributions on finite sets $X_i$, where $i = 1, \dots, n$. Suppose the probability distribution $P$ assigns a probability $p_i$ to each element $i \in \{1,\dots, n\}$, and suppose the distribution $Q_i$ assigns a probability $q_{i j}$ to each element $j \in X_i$.

I want to extend the $Q_i$ to all the $X_k$ with zeroes when $k \neq i$, so that each $Q_i$ is a distribution over the same set $U$, the disjoint union of the $X_i$, and $j$ runs over $U$ in the definition of the $q_{ij}$. Then what you call glomming is a mixture of distributions. People often use mixtures, but I've never heard of glomming!

The formula with the extra term reminds of `the law of total variance', see http://statisticalmodeling.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/the-variance-of-a-mixture/.

Comment Source:In this part: > We begin with a sadly familiar problem: > Suppose you live in a town with a limited number of tolerable restaurants. Every Friday you go out for dinner. You randomly choose a restaurant according to a certain probability distribution $P$. If you go to the $i$th restaurant, you then choose a dish from the menu according to some probability distribution $Q_i$. <i>How surprising will your choice be, on average?</i> [...] > Glomming together probabilities > But the interesting thing about this problem is that it involves an operation which I'll call 'glomming together' probability distributions. First you choose a restaurant according to some probability distribution $P$ on the set of restaurants. Then you choose a meal according to some probability distribution $Q_i$. If there are $n$ restaurants in town, you wind up eating meals in a way described by some probability distribution we'll call > $$ P \circ (Q_1, \dots, Q_n )$$ > A bit more formally: > Suppose $P$ is a probability distribution on the set $\{1,\dots, n\}$ and $Q_i$ are probability distributions on finite sets $X_i$, where $i = 1, \dots, n$. Suppose the probability distribution $P$ assigns a probability $p_i$ to each element $i \in \{1,\dots, n\}$, and suppose the distribution $Q_i$ assigns a probability $q_{i j}$ to each element $j \in X_i$. I want to extend the $Q_i$ to all the $X_k$ with zeroes when $k \neq i$, so that each $Q_i$ is a distribution over the same set $U$, the disjoint union of the $X_i$, and $j$ runs over $U$ in the definition of the $q_{ij}$. Then what you call glomming is a mixture of distributions. People often use mixtures, but I've never heard of glomming! The formula with the extra term reminds of `the law of total variance', see [http://statisticalmodeling.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/the-variance-of-a-mixture/](http://statisticalmodeling.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/the-variance-of-a-mixture/).

"Glom" is just American slang for "stick together", not a technical term.

You're right that "glomming" is a special case of a mixture of distributions. But I suspect that the rather simple formula for the entropy of a probability distribution formed by 'glomming' gets more complicated for mixtures of probability distributions that don't have disjoint supports.

Yes, that formula for the variance of a mixture is somehow related! I'm not sure exactly how to fit them in a common framework....

Comment Source:"Glom" is just American slang for "stick together", not a technical term. You're right that "glomming" is a special case of a mixture of distributions. But I suspect that the rather simple formula for the entropy of a probability distribution formed by 'glomming' gets more complicated for mixtures of probability distributions that don't have disjoint supports. Yes, that formula for the variance of a mixture is somehow related! I'm not sure exactly how to fit them in a common framework....

I think it's very useful to have gathering this material on a page. Some I'd missed and others I'd certainly like to reread. Whether Zurek's ideas and non-extensive entropies in any shape have any usable connections to the kinds of models Azimuth people want seems like a very good question.

Comment Source:I think it's very useful to have gathering this material on a page. Some I'd missed and others I'd certainly like to reread. Whether Zurek's ideas and non-extensive entropies in any shape have any usable connections to the kinds of models Azimuth people want seems like a very good question.