Options

NPG media announcement

About a year ago we put a paper on the arXiv which was about the topic of quantum transport.

We sent the paper to Nature Communications, which is a really fancy journal. There were two rounds of reviews, and not that bad either. The paper was very close to getting in, we blame reviewer II. It was frustrating and it took a year. After Nat Comm said they were not interested in the end, we sent the work to Nature Publishing Groups lesser journal, Scientific Reports. This journal is open access so required us to pay just over 1000 EUR to publish there. Anyway...

Scientific Reports loved the paper, the reviews were fantastic and the media officer of NPG contacted me, saying that they want to

• “...help to promote your paper via social media, including the journal's Facebook and Twitter accounts, and we're happy to coordinate with your institution to ensure they are kept informed of the publication dates and embargo times. At the moment, it looks like your paper will be published on Tuesday 6th August, assuming there are no issues with the proofing process...” It was not an automated email, so they were actually interested in it.

They want us to make our own press release and then promote this. At the ISI Foundation where I work, we (currently) have a media officer who only writes articles in Italian and also, we're undergoing serious changes in the institutes homepage. There is pretty much zero chance for us to have a press release in English here for these reasons (particularly considering how many conversations are being had right now regarding the new, and actually very nice looking homepage that should be out soon).

If John was interested in having us write a blog article about this work, we could get Azimuth linked to by Nature's facebook and twitter account. I think that'd be cool.

The paper is about transport in quantum systems, and time-inversion symmetry breaking of the probability transition rates in the single particle site basis. Some parts of this work are interesting, at least to us, and it does actually relate to the networks project. In fact, this whole paper came about through conversations and presentations about the book I helped John with. There is also some interesting and network project related work left undone, which would involve understanding the difference between the time of symmetry breaking we consider in our paper, and the

The arXiv paper, among other things, essentially shows that lattices without loops can't break inversion symmetry, since you can quasi gauge transform Hamiltonians with complex phases into Hamiltonians with only real valued transition rates. This actually might be an effect present in biological complexes! Anyway, this could be an interesting article. It would start by explaining the basic idea behind actual, living, light harvesting complexes and then could explain how quantum transport works, stating that these effects are important to such systems and it could show exactly what inversion symmetry breaking means.

Let me know if you're interested, and the ISI team can get prepare a good article. We also have prepared some very nice figures which would likely also add something to the post.

Comments

Just took a quick look: on facebook, Scientific Reports has 112k followers and on twitter, they have over 20k. Considering that all of these people have already signed up to follow science stories, I think it would be fantastic and get more interest in all of this stuff to have an Azimuth article posted on their pages!

Comment Source:Just took a quick look: on facebook, Scientific Reports has 112k followers and on twitter, they have over 20k. Considering that all of these people have already signed up to follow science stories, I think it would be fantastic and get more interest in all of this stuff to have an Azimuth article posted on their pages!

The new version of our paper is now on the arxiv. It didn't change much but we put it into the revtex formatting which should hopefully be simpler to read.

Comment Source:The new version of our paper is now on the arxiv. It didn't change much but we put it into the revtex formatting which should hopefully be simpler to read. * [new version of paper](http://arxiv.org/pdf/1208.4049.pdf)