Options

Dave Tweed's asymptotic to-do List

Hi, I guess this stuff half belongs in comments on other topics, but I'll put it on its own just for clarity. I haven't really been around Azimuth (either the wiki or forum) that much recently, just because while it's fun and very educational to chat, it also takes up quite a bit of time, which I haven't really had recently (partly because I'm living through Interesting Times in my job). I'm still trying to integrate environmental stuff with the other stuff I'm doing. The Azimuth-related stuff I'm currently working on (with no particular deadlines for completion):

1. I'm currently thinking about what can be done with the Berkeley Earth input dataset (in particular, the intermediate datasets where duplicate readings from the same measuring station have been converted to 1, but I believe no more complicated "corrections" have been done). This is being done within the context that I don't really have a deep understanding of the relevant physics, so I'm trying to avoid making very many assumptions about what the relevant physics is. The outcome of this will be mainly a better understanding of some of the issues by me, and possibly some very simple "amateur" statistical analysis which might be of interest inasmuch as it's different from other analyses.

2. I'm giving a brief presentation at FOSDEM (an open source meet up) at the very start of February. This is primiarily about computing issues, but will be illustrated by some examples using the Berekeley Earth dataset. There will be some room for mentioning environmentalism as an interesting and useful thing to work on, but not that much given the primary focus on software.

Comments

The idea of using FOSEM as an excuse to think about the Berkeley Earth dataset sounds good. I hope you have time to tell us some of what you learn!

We've missed you...

Comment Source:The idea of using FOSEM as an excuse to think about the Berkeley Earth dataset sounds good. I hope you have time to tell us some of what you learn! We've missed you...