Options

ENSO2013: Derivative Filter Slicer

Daniel had noticed a peculiar interference pattern in some of the ENSO data, and I wanted to reproduce the same but without taking averages and indeed on the 3D grid data as opposed to a flattened 2D.

The 3D grid data can be Spline interpolated along each axis i.e. x, y and time (thru the screen) and then partial derivatives could be computed. Then the resultant derivatives could be plotted as yet another volumetric data.

So I did two derivatives dtdx and dtdy (from calc dtdx = dxdt). dtdx shows standing waves as Daniel had unearthed and dtdy shows traveling waves. Each derivative was turned into a volumetric Slicer:

PDF

ENSO213: Derivative Filter Slicer

dtdx Slicer

ENSO2013 dtdx

dtdy Slicer

ENSO2013 dtdy

Dara

Comments

Slicer shows the 365th day of the year and then slices towards the 1st, somehow I goofed doing the from 1st to last. For now it should do.

When you open the Slicer it is look at the 365th day point blank, so use your mouse and press down it down to rotate the volume.

Comment Source:Slicer shows the 365th day of the year and then slices towards the 1st, somehow I goofed doing the from 1st to last. For now it should do. When you open the Slicer it is look at the 365th day point blank, so use your mouse and press down it down to rotate the volume.