Options

NASA-JAXA's new precipitation satellite sees first Atlantic hurricane

Hello John and Hello to everyone

NASA-JAXA's New Precipitation Satellite Sees First Atlantic Hurricane

John the video shows the volumetric rendering of the Precipitation scans of the satellite. This is the new form of data for the forecast and analysis of all manner of related things in future.

I posted a Slicer earlier with Derivative Filters, now you understand what apps I was targeting.

Dara

Comments

If you look at the video's rendering, you see a Slicer going towards and away from from the screen. Similar to that slicer in 3dimensions was posted earlier in your group here.

I did one more thing, basically added the filters to the entire volume in this case the filters were dxdt and dydt, for that matter I could do any Slicer with any filters.

dxdt and dydt relieve the researchers from statistical nightmare of moving averages i.e. instead of transforming the data into lower dimensions to infer an inference, we keep the data in same dimensions e.g. 4D.

Dara
    Comment Source:If you look at the video's rendering, you see a Slicer going towards and away from from the screen. Similar to that slicer in 3dimensions was posted earlier in your group here. I did one more thing, basically added the filters to the entire volume in this case the filters were dxdt and dydt, for that matter I could do any Slicer with any filters. dxdt and dydt relieve the researchers from statistical nightmare of moving averages i.e. instead of transforming the data into lower dimensions to infer an inference, we keep the data in same dimensions e.g. 4D. Dara
    edited July 2014

All GPM data products will be released to the public by Sept. 2, 2014. Current and future data sets are available to registered users from NASA Goddard's Precipitation Processing Center website at: http://pps.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Comment Source:>All GPM data products will be released to the public by Sept. 2, 2014. Current and future data sets are available to registered users from NASA Goddard's Precipitation Processing Center website at: http://pps.gsfc.nasa.gov/
    edited July 2014

This where the data products are :

PMM

2B31 is my target for downloading data

Comment Source:This where the data products are : [PMM](http://pmm.nasa.gov/data-access/data-products) 2B31 is my target for downloading data

Cool!

I will need to think about this more sometime to understand it.

By the way, subject headers here in the Forum and also in the Wiki should have a capital letter only at the start, except for words that need to be capitalized. So, I changed this one to

"NASA-JAXA's new precipitation satellite sees first Atlantic hurricane"

Comment Source:Cool! I will need to think about this more sometime to understand it. By the way, subject headers here in the Forum and also in the Wiki should have a capital letter only at the start, except for words that need to be capitalized. So, I changed this one to "NASA-JAXA's new precipitation satellite sees first Atlantic hurricane"

Ok John I edit the titles before posting and avoid cut & past ;)

Meanwhile with 2 other engineers we are trying to download the data from the birds automatically on daily basis (if not hourly). The data is in orbital ribbon like shapes and need to glue them together to make a grid data to compute with.

The data is super rich! It has temperature, rain, snow, wind.

What I do not know is how to get the volumetric data, so far I only see 2D ribbon data for the orbitals.

We need you involved in some decisions, since there are many types of orbital data and we need to synchronize with you, if you are up to it about end of Aug time to discuss here.

Dara

Comment Source:Ok John I edit the titles before posting and avoid cut & past ;) >I will need to think about this more sometime to understand it. Meanwhile with 2 other engineers we are trying to download the data from the birds automatically on daily basis (if not hourly). The data is in orbital ribbon like shapes and need to glue them together to make a grid data to compute with. The data is super rich! It has temperature, rain, snow, wind. What I do not know is how to get the volumetric data, so far I only see 2D ribbon data for the orbitals. We need you involved in some decisions, since there are many types of orbital data and we need to synchronize with you, if you are up to it about end of Aug time to discuss here. Dara

John wrote:

Do you recall that climatologist wannabe who was bad mouthing you and told you: "you do not have the resources..." well with this satellite data and some of our cooperations you have the resources.

What was missing was the data, obtained in large quantities on daily basis, high resolution and accurate. We have that now as of sept 2014

Dara

Comment Source:John wrote: >I will need to think about this more sometime to understand it. Do you recall that climatologist wannabe who was bad mouthing you and told you: "you do not have the resources..." well with this satellite data and some of our cooperations you have the resources. What was missing was the data, obtained in large quantities on daily basis, high resolution and accurate. We have that now as of sept 2014 Dara

I may have the resources but still not the expertise... or enough time to quickly acquire that expertise!

I plan to spend a lot of time in August finishing a book with Jacob Biamonte: _Quantum Techniques for Stochastic Mechanics. It's "almost done", but with books it can take a lot of work to go from "almost done" to "done".

I also want to finish my paper with Nina Otter on Operads and phylogenetic trees. Again this is "almost done", and I thought I would be finished with it several weeks ago, but I find it difficult to finish.

So, I'm worrying about whether by December I will be able to give a decent talk at NIPS.

Comment Source:I may have the resources but still not the expertise... or enough time to quickly acquire that expertise! I plan to spend a lot of time in August finishing a book with Jacob Biamonte: _[Quantum Techniques for Stochastic Mechanics](http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/stoch_stable.pdf). It's "almost done", but with books it can take a lot of work to go from "almost done" to "done". I also want to finish my paper with Nina Otter on [Operads and phylogenetic trees](http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/phylo.pdf). Again this is "almost done", and I thought I would be finished with it several weeks ago, but I find it difficult to finish. So, I'm worrying about whether by December I will be able to give a decent talk at NIPS.

So, I’m worrying about whether by December I will be able to give a decent talk at NIPS.

How about, and not telling you what to do, we process data with all kinds of wavelet decompositions, generate a bunch of scalograms and other relevant materials and GUI, I would like to add the volumetric Wavelet decompositions (for the grid data) which posted when I arrived here first.

Possibly fire off some forecast models with some backtesting, results could be good or bad but that you could use some stuff from these.

Dara

Comment Source:>So, I’m worrying about whether by December I will be able to give a decent talk at NIPS. How about, and not telling you what to do, we process data with all kinds of wavelet decompositions, generate a bunch of scalograms and other relevant materials and GUI, I would like to add the volumetric Wavelet decompositions (for the grid data) which posted when I arrived here first. Possibly fire off some forecast models with some backtesting, results could be good or bad but that you could use some stuff from these. Dara