Options

iPython Notebook READ ONLY Broadcasts

Hello Daniel and Hello everyone

There is a fix for the security issue we discussed:

Broadcasting IPython Notebooks

John between Wolfram CDF and iPython you could revolutionize all aspects of research and teaching. Specially since the notebooks could access CUDA GPUs and multicore CPUs.

My colleague Michael Thorek has done great research on the education part of this and has worked with one of the major North American universities and shown terrific results in educating students.

Dara

Comments

edited August 2014

Where to use CDF and where to use iPython (from my grizzly hand to hand combat with both of them for years):

CDF: 1. Symbolic computations, specially super large ones that need multiple cpu cores

1. Solving equations both differential and difference

2. web deployment with tiny servers (CDF runs entirely on the desktop machine of the user)

3. No requirements for having the Mathematica on the desktop machine

4. Easy installation

5. Mixes numeric, symbolic, functional and graphic programming 1, 2, 3D and volumetric rendering

6. Does a pdf and html dump of notebooks

7. ISSUES: hard programming language, harder to find expert programmers, impossible to debug, costly non-academic licenses and yearly techsupport

iPython: 1. Access to all Python libraries, specially the scientific visualization

1. OPEN SOURCE all the way

2. All web, but regular debugging in a python IDE is quite welcomed

3. Easily can run all other scripts from other languages

4. Easiest programming language in the world

5. Does a pdf and html dump of the notebook

6. ISSUES: almost all serious libraries like wavelets or machine learning are incomplete and will stay like that for years to come. Still lacks multi-user login but soon that will be provided. Serious installation required. SYMBOLIC and equation solving far from acceptable for even beginners

Comment Source:Where to use CDF and where to use iPython (from my grizzly hand to hand combat with both of them for years): CDF: 1. Symbolic computations, specially super large ones that need multiple cpu cores 2. Solving equations both differential and difference 3. web deployment with tiny servers (CDF runs entirely on the desktop machine of the user) 4. No requirements for having the Mathematica on the desktop machine 5. Easy installation 6. Mixes numeric, symbolic, functional and graphic programming 1, 2, 3D and volumetric rendering 7. Does a pdf and html dump of notebooks 8. ISSUES: hard programming language, harder to find expert programmers, impossible to debug, costly non-academic licenses and yearly techsupport iPython: 1. Access to all Python libraries, specially the scientific visualization 2. OPEN SOURCE all the way 3. All web, but regular debugging in a python IDE is quite welcomed 4. Easily can run all other scripts from other languages 5. Easiest programming language in the world 6. Does a pdf and html dump of the notebook 7. ISSUES: almost all serious libraries like wavelets or machine learning are incomplete and will stay like that for years to come. Still lacks multi-user login but soon that will be provided. Serious installation required. SYMBOLIC and equation solving far from acceptable for even beginners

I just got a report from my server guru that the posted article here about iPython read-only notebooks is quite possible to be provided for the folks here

Dara

Comment Source:I just got a report from my server guru that the posted article here about iPython read-only notebooks is quite possible to be provided for the folks here Dara