Options

Starting work on one or possibly two blog articles

Just to mention that I had been thinking about writing an "Exploring the El Nino data" series blog article, but I still haven't completed the implementation of the bilinear regression code that I'd need for the actual results. However, in the process I've also been thinking about some of the points I'd have to make about the differences between "physical models" and "machine learning models" in order to motivate certain things and I'm not sure if that's going to make for one very long blog article. So I'm going to start working on an article making those points as a standalone to see how the length goes; if it's short I can revert to the original plan otherwise it can serve as background reading for the later exploratory data article.

Due to the migration, I'm going to start on my local machine and once the migration is completed I'll start working collaboratively on the wiki.

Comments

edited August 2014

Great! I guess you mean either the 'Exploring climate data' thread or the 'El Niño project' thread. The first one is for freewheeling contributions that may or may not be El Niño-related. The second one is a bit more "official", and strictly El Niño-focused. It's no big deal...

There's a lot of good stuff on the forum here that deserves to go into the "'Exploring climate data". For example, Daniel Mahler did some cool work, and so did Dara and Paul. I am always pushing the limits of my ability to spend time blogging, so it would be great if more folks here prepared blog articles on the wiki, not requiring me to do all the writeups. I'm happy to edit and post stuff.

Comment Source:Great! I guess you mean either the 'Exploring climate data' thread or the 'El Niño project' thread. The first one is for freewheeling contributions that may or may not be El Niño-related. The second one is a bit more "official", and strictly El Niño-focused. It's no big deal... There's a lot of good stuff on the forum here that deserves to go into the "'Exploring climate data". For example, Daniel Mahler did some cool work, and so did Dara and Paul. I am always pushing the limits of my ability to spend time blogging, so it would be great if more folks here prepared blog articles on the wiki, not requiring me to do all the writeups. I'm happy to edit and post stuff.

so it would be great if more folks here prepared blog articles on the wiki, not requiring me to do all the writeups. I’m happy to edit and post stuff.

Hello John

If it is ok with you, I could start some write ups with Paul or others. As long as your editorial standards are met.

Generally speaking I would like to issue frequent computational documents/blogs/reports on incoming new data, as frequent as weekly, if you do not mind to lend your expertise to make sure they are sound. I shall refrain from claims and conclusions and 'expert opinions', instead focus on describing what computations unearthed, the nature of computations and code, and as some relevant questions.

If you feel uncomfortable about I asked above I understand no pressure.

Dara

Comment Source:>so it would be great if more folks here prepared blog articles on the wiki, not requiring me to do all the writeups. I’m happy to edit and post stuff. Hello John If it is ok with you, I could start some write ups with Paul or others. As long as your editorial standards are met. Generally speaking I would like to issue frequent computational documents/blogs/reports on incoming new data, as frequent as weekly, if you do not mind to lend your expertise to make sure they are sound. I shall refrain from claims and conclusions and 'expert opinions', instead focus on describing what computations unearthed, the nature of computations and code, and as some relevant questions. If you feel uncomfortable about I asked above I understand no pressure. Dara