Options

Blog - Directing Quantum Motion: the Art of Time-Reversal Symmetry Breaking

This is a thread for discussing Zoltan's blog article:

Comments

gives error:

Unknown web 'blog'

Ok so I post my computations in this address?

Comment Source:gives error: >Unknown web 'blog' Ok so I post my computations in this address?

Jacob Biamonte wrote:

Here's our chance Dara, to provide some feedback on which parts of Zoltan's blog might be hard to understand. This one is great because it has a nice story and really nice art work. So I think people are going to like it a lot.

Comment Source:Jacob Biamonte wrote: > Here's our chance Dara, to provide some feedback on which parts of Zoltan's blog might be hard to understand. This one is great because it has a nice story and really nice art work. So I think people are going to like it a lot.

David Tweed wrote:

My only quick comment is that the term "time inversion" is used a couple of times. I'm not a physicist so maybe inversion meaning reversal is standard, but from my maths background I tend to think inversion is something along the lines $x\mapsto k/x$ (eg, inversion in the complex unit circle, etc). Maybe sticking to reversal would be clearer?

EDIT: looking closer I see those all occur outside the text that will actually form the blog entry, so it's not relevant

Comment Source:David Tweed wrote: > My only quick comment is that the term "time inversion" is used a couple of times. I'm not a physicist so maybe inversion meaning reversal is standard, but from my maths background I tend to think inversion is something along the lines $x\mapsto k/x$ (eg, inversion in the complex unit circle, etc). Maybe sticking to reversal would be clearer? > > EDIT: looking closer I see those all occur outside the text that will actually form the blog entry, so it's not relevant

Zoltan Zimboras wrote:

David Tweed: Yes, I agree with you that the phrase "time reversal" is better than "inversion". And that was exactly the reason why in the actual text I left out the term "inversion" - as you also noticed. Thanks a lot for your interest, and any further comments/suggestions/questions are highly appreciated!

Comment Source:Zoltan Zimboras wrote: > David Tweed: Yes, I agree with you that the phrase "time reversal" is better than "inversion". And that was exactly the reason why in the actual text I left out the term "inversion" - as you also noticed. Thanks a lot for your interest, and any further comments/suggestions/questions are highly appreciated!

Zoltan Zimboras wrote:

Dara: I'm very happy that you like the blog. In fact, we will expand the post a bit, since Jake and I (together with azimuthers Ville, Mauro and Tomi) have been involved in a recent NMR experiment that demonstrated this effect.

Comment Source:Zoltan Zimboras wrote: > Dara: I'm very happy that you like the blog. In fact, we will expand the post a bit, since Jake and I (together with azimuthers Ville, Mauro and Tomi) have been involved in a recent NMR experiment that demonstrated this effect.

Dara O Shayda wrote:

Thanx for everything. I spend a part of the evening and coded the blog's equations into Mathematica to educated myself, I try to get the bra-ket part of the blog's equations coded as well. I will post the code shortly. Then I ask some questions.

Comment Source:Dara O Shayda wrote: > Thanx for everything. I spend a part of the evening and coded the blog's equations into Mathematica to educated myself, I try to get the bra-ket part of the blog's equations coded as well. I will post the code shortly. Then I ask some questions.
    edited August 2014

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the link, Dara. I just fixed that up.

Zoltan, the page went into the "unstable" mode again, so I applied the workaround of replacing all strings of the form \cite{ABC} with \[ABC\]. Also did the same for \ref.

Comment Source:Thanks for pointing out the problem with the link, Dara. I just fixed that up. Zoltan, the page went into the "unstable" mode again, so I applied the workaround of replacing all strings of the form \cite{ABC} with \\[ABC\\]. Also did the same for \ref.
    edited August 2014

Dara I suggest posting your computations to a companion page, called something to the effect of "Exeriments in ___". You could put a link to it in the references section of the draft blog article.

Comment Source:Dara I suggest posting your computations to a companion page, called something to the effect of "Exeriments in ___". You could put a link to it in the references section of the draft blog article.

Thanx David, I feel better to make a companion page :)

In a few hours.

D

Comment Source:Thanx David, I feel better to make a companion page :) In a few hours. D
    edited August 2014

Hence, as an educated guess, we could assume that the cat’s motion would in this situation be biased towards the left.

You mean biased towards the right, right? (Assuming that the cat has self-protective instincts.)

Comment Source:> Hence, as an educated guess, we could assume that the cat’s motion would in this situation be biased towards the left. You mean biased towards the right, right? (Assuming that the cat has self-protective instincts.)

Here's Zoltan's paper which the blog is based on.

Here's chiral quantum walks

which is a related/improved/extended version of the theory complete with an experimental simulation.

The numerics in the papers were done using qit for matlab

Comment Source:Here's [Zoltan's paper](http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130806/srep02361/full/srep02361.html) which the blog is based on. Here's [chiral quantum walks](http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.6209) which is a related/improved/extended version of the theory complete with an experimental simulation. The numerics in the papers were done using [qit for matlab](http://qit.sourceforge.net/)

Thanx Jacob I am looking at them tonight.

D

Comment Source:Thanx Jacob I am looking at them tonight. D
    edited August 2014

OK great. I can talk about them with you after the blog article is finished.

Comment Source:OK great. I can talk about them with you after the blog article is finished.

Take your time, sadly I have to duplicate some code into Mathematica but that is ok I am used to that.

My main concerns is to get the bra-kets and summations working both symbolically and numerically.

D

Comment Source:Take your time, sadly I have to duplicate some code into Mathematica but that is ok I am used to that. My main concerns is to get the bra-kets and summations working both symbolically and numerically. D

Jacob (if you have time, do not wish to impose)

if you know of actual examples of graphs which might be of interest, I do not mind to run the code on them and produce some sort of live code document of all such examples. Detailed specific to each graph.

I do not learn by looking at equations, so I learn much better if I could work examples to death.

So instead of just ladder of 6 steps, let me know of more complex graphs.

Or any other related structures. The redundancy of running the same code on myriad of examples, is educational worthy at least for me.

Dara

Comment Source:Jacob (if you have time, do not wish to impose) if you know of actual examples of graphs which might be of interest, I do not mind to run the code on them and produce some sort of live code document of all such examples. Detailed specific to each graph. I do not learn by looking at equations, so I learn much better if I could work examples to death. So instead of just ladder of 6 steps, let me know of more complex graphs. Or any other related structures. The redundancy of running the same code on myriad of examples, is educational worthy at least for me. Dara

Sure, I can talk about it after the blog article. Since it's distracting. But not here, since this thread is about Zoltan's blog.

Comment Source:Sure, I can talk about it after the blog article. Since it's distracting. But not here, since this thread is about Zoltan's blog.

Great use of imagery and artwork for a mathematical subject.

Comment Source:Great use of imagery and artwork for a mathematical subject.