Options

calendar mottos

In the book "numerical recipes" the authors explain that linear congruence generators generate numbers that concentrate on hyperplanes - which looks very much not random to the human eye.

Quote:

One of us recalls as a graduate student producing a “random” plot with only 11 planes and being told by his computer center’s programming consultant that he had misused the random number generator: “We guarantee that each number is random individually, but we don’t guarantee that more than one of them is random.”

This is so cool that I would like to include it on the page somehow, maybe as a calendar motto at the top of the page. What do you think: Would this be nonprofessional or interesting/entertaining?

Comments

By the way Tim, as you're mentioning NR a lot: I assume you're aware that the view of NR quite mixed. It's a good introduction to many of the techniques and has a good overview, but it's also taking an approach to writing numerical code from the early 80s, with often very poor behaviour in corner cases and not as much care over avoid loss-of-precision as would be taken in a real numerical package.

Comment Source:By the way Tim, as you're mentioning NR a lot: I assume you're aware that the view of NR quite mixed. It's a good introduction to many of the techniques and has a good overview, but it's also taking an approach to writing numerical code from the early 80s, with often very poor behaviour in corner cases and not as much care over avoid loss-of-precision as would be taken in a real numerical package.

I assume you're aware that the view of NR quite mixed.

Semi-yes. I worked with NR-code on my master thesis, although I used different implementations for random number generators, stochastic and partial DE. I never used anything else, so NR came to my mind as a possible start to get something coded in Java/Scala. Is the GSL better?

Comment Source:<blockquote> <p> I assume you're aware that the view of NR quite mixed. </p> </blockquote> Semi-yes. I worked with NR-code on my master thesis, although I used different implementations for random number generators, stochastic and partial DE. I never used anything else, so NR came to my mind as a possible start to get something coded in Java/Scala. Is the GSL better?