Options

GMI satellite data sample: surface precipitation

Hello John

This is the satellite data download sample for the new orbital satellites recordings:

Friday Dec 12, start=12hr, end=16hr

The algorithm does Gaussian filter to smooth out the holes

Dara

Comments

John I am not sure if these are correct thoughts, but somehow I suspect that El Nino is tied to the water precipitation and transportation. Therefore to have a better model for forecast we need to have water params in addition to temperatures or pressures.

I could be entirely wrong.

Comment Source:John I am not sure if these are correct thoughts, but somehow I suspect that El Nino is tied to the water precipitation and transportation. Therefore to have a better model for forecast we need to have water params in addition to temperatures or pressures. I could be entirely wrong.

another example

Nov 18, Nov 19

Comment Source:another example [Nov 18, Nov 19](http://atmospherics.lossofgenerality.com/media/testbot/output/RectArray_121714_2003/mapoverlay.jpg)

So I am thinking to pair the precipitation data with some other parameter e.g. surface temperature or wind velocity or TAO or Ozone thickness. Then cluster! Those clusters could show us the putative teleconnections.

Then we run animations in time, and map the planet similar to what Nick showed us, and we then see a dynamic network of connections however with no a priori bias whatsoever or any preset rules.

These animations then could clue us into a possible formulation for planetary dynamical system for atmospherics and oceanics.

Comment Source:So I am thinking to pair the precipitation data with some other parameter e.g. surface temperature or wind velocity or TAO or Ozone thickness. Then cluster! Those clusters could show us the putative teleconnections. Then we run animations in time, and map the planet similar to what Nick showed us, and we then see a dynamic network of connections however with no a priori bias whatsoever or any preset rules. These animations then could clue us into a possible formulation for planetary dynamical system for atmospherics and oceanics.

Once the nodes for the clusters found, one way to measure a linkage between them we could use the min or mean distance of one cluster's elements to another, this way there is a link strength measured.

Comment Source:Once the nodes for the clusters found, one way to measure a linkage between them we could use the min or mean distance of one cluster's elements to another, this way there is a link strength measured.

In Link Strength computation in #5 the larger the link strength the more chance of teleconnection. Therefore teleconnections could actually have a concise definition and computation via machine learning algorithms.

Comment Source:In Link Strength computation in #5 the larger the link strength the more chance of teleconnection. Therefore teleconnections could actually have a concise definition and computation via machine learning algorithms.