Options

Discussion with farmers in Dungarvan Ireland

I visited some neighbours last night and we talked about the weather!

Britain is hammered with bad weather, and parts of Ireland are seeing serious ice to the point government issued safety bulletins.

Our grass was iced last week, farmers told me that ice was unusual i.e. it crystalized too deep into the soil, however now after thawing has left a spongy wet crust which is no good for any form of farming or cattle feeding.

I can see the mud is problem, my donkeys' hoofs make too deep impressions and huskies are sinking in some part of the grass land.

Farmers told me these are unusual weather patterns for Ireland, mind you these fellows have been here since the dawn of time, and know their land very well.

So I am thinking to start building these:

Inflatable greenhouses

BTW the author Dr. Lance Crombie is the kinda researcher we should invite here.

Due to the massive prolonged gales in Ireland, any poly-tunnel or glass tiled and metal framed structures breaks, I mean shattered to pieces. It is now quite difficult to grow non-root vegetables here! Amazingly as verdant as this place is I found out that the vegetables are imported, mostly due to these farming anomalies.

Learning from the experiments in USA and Canada, I hope the air-structure greenhouses could address this issue and produce new kind of farming.

Comments

edited January 2015

We had an ice blast yesterday, unusual ice storm with ferocious gales. It was followed immediately by a warmer evening and morning showers. I suspect these quick freeze and thaw damages the plants and grass feed for animals.

Comment Source:We had an ice blast yesterday, unusual ice storm with ferocious gales. It was followed immediately by a warmer evening and morning showers. I suspect these quick freeze and thaw damages the plants and grass feed for animals.