Options

Atmospherix

Hello John and hello to everyone

This is the code that reads the new GPM satellite(s) data, part Python and part Mathematica:

Atmospherix

I have not fully ported my Mathematica scripts, but very soon.

The data is massive and even with a 16 cpu server (16 cpu IO) we find it quite cpu intensive and memory intensive to read large regions of data.

But once the data is read we convert it into CDF and video flip books for general consumption by desktop machines.

GPL 2.0 license for now.

Our hope is access all data from all these satellites and process them in real-time for public consumption.

Comments

edited January 2015

Each cpu runs a Mathematica Kernel, e.g. wavelets or machine learning algorithm, hence scalability is quite high.

We could add any symbolic computations as well, or I am planning to add parallelize C code for clustering. In other words we could do parallel IO, massive number crunching, and massive symbolic manipulations.

Python software based upon Celery and Django, allows for researchers like John to run code and make reasonable modifications without becoming programmers:

Code editor

Parmeter editor

We could easily add R either thru the Mathematica kernels or standalone.

Comment Source:Each cpu runs a Mathematica Kernel, e.g. wavelets or machine learning algorithm, hence scalability is quite high. We could add any symbolic computations as well, or I am planning to add parallelize C code for clustering. In other words we could do parallel IO, massive number crunching, and massive symbolic manipulations. Python software based upon Celery and Django, allows for researchers like John to run code and make reasonable modifications without becoming programmers: [Code editor](https://github.com/lossofgenerality/Envirometrix/blob/master/Mathematica%20Scripts/Interface%20Screencaps/editor_1.jpg) [Parmeter editor](https://github.com/lossofgenerality/Envirometrix/blob/master/Mathematica%20Scripts/Interface%20Screencaps/editor_2.jpg) We could easily add R either thru the Mathematica kernels or standalone.

While my interest is primarily about water, the satellites measure very large number of data types including temperatures and wind speeds and so on.

I believe the ground-base measurements are obsolete, funding is being cut, the satellite networks are the future (actually future is now).

Comment Source:While my interest is primarily about water, the satellites measure very large number of data types including temperatures and wind speeds and so on. I believe the ground-base measurements are obsolete, funding is being cut, the satellite networks are the future (actually future is now).
    edited January 2015

I propose a DIY (Do It Yourself) climatology organization which is open-source and collects the data from the aforementioned satellite systems which will only increase in numbers.

John could pave the way with the theoretical models we need to explain the data which is streamed in real-time (or archived for longer periods of time). Or John could teach us the theoretical skills we need to actually code the necessary algorithms. Or John could give us educational materials to learn from. Of course I am not telling John what to do.

This DIY climatology is the dawn of democratization of sciences, which will remove the control from the hands of few with agenda, and transmit the information and necessary techs to masses to find talented minds to freely think and innovate.

DIY movement in Western Hemisphere is a quiet revolution that provides answers to many troubling problems facing the people. And I was thinking why not for climate.

All we need is theoreticians like John, a small group of crack coders a few large servers, and open source release of the results to people.

Comment Source:I propose a DIY (Do It Yourself) climatology organization which is open-source and collects the data from the aforementioned satellite systems which will only increase in numbers. John could pave the way with the theoretical models we need to explain the data which is streamed in real-time (or archived for longer periods of time). Or John could teach us the theoretical skills we need to actually code the necessary algorithms. Or John could give us educational materials to learn from. Of course I am not telling John what to do. This DIY climatology is the dawn of democratization of sciences, which will remove the control from the hands of few with agenda, and transmit the information and necessary techs to masses to find talented minds to freely think and innovate. DIY movement in Western Hemisphere is a quiet revolution that provides answers to many troubling problems facing the people. And I was thinking why not for climate. All we need is theoreticians like John, a small group of crack coders a few large servers, and open source release of the results to people.