Options

Additional categories

I'm thinking a couple more categories might be beneficial for stuff that doesn't fit within existing ones. I'm thinking about (names can be changed)

• methodology: concecpts/analysis methods/etc stuff that's not limited to a specific existing topic, eg, carbon
  • visualisations: stuff that's more of an attempt to get some context on things than detailed work. putting it in its own category may stop it obscuring detailed pages in the category.

Presumably me just sticking "category: x" lines is all that's needed, but I thought I'd get other opinions before doing this.

Comments

I get the concept of "methodology" and think that would make a great category.

I think "visualizations" could be a good name for graphs, tables, and other visual stuff, but I'm not sure that's quite what you're talking about...

Comment Source:I get the concept of "methodology" and think that would make a great category. I think "visualizations" could be a good name for graphs, tables, and other visual stuff, but I'm not sure that's quite what you're talking about...
    edited November 2010

I was thinking about things like

It's replicating info spread over detailed pages, but I find sometimes find these useful for seeing what the most important things are. (With written numbers it takes a couple of orders of magnitude difference for sizes differences to be apparent.)

Comment Source:I was thinking about things like * [Energy extraction technology usage](http://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Energy+extraction+technology+usage) * [this sort of thing (not sure about copyright on this specifically)](http://www.globalartwork.com/2010/how-much-fuel-used-in-a-year/) * [the kind of thing here](http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/page/Visualization_Options.html) It's replicating info spread over detailed pages, but I find sometimes find these useful for seeing what the most important things are. (With written numbers it takes a couple of orders of magnitude difference for sizes differences to be apparent.)
    edited November 2010

Okay, as long as it's stuff that's "visual", I think "visualizations" is a great category. There could be some other category like "data" - not sure what to call it - that would include more numerical stuff as well.

One thing I find, as I study climate change and energy, is that I want data of many sorts, preferably in easy-to-understand tables or charts, but right now it's strewn all over the place and hard to get... and even what seems like the simplest, most obviously important stuff. So I plan to slowly remedy that, over on the Azimuth Project.

Comment Source:Okay, as long as it's stuff that's "visual", I think "visualizations" is a great category. There could be some other category like "data" - not sure what to call it - that would include more numerical stuff as well. One thing I find, as I study climate change and energy, is that I want data of many sorts, preferably in easy-to-understand tables or charts, but right now it's strewn all over the place and hard to get... and even what seems like the simplest, most obviously important stuff. So I plan to slowly remedy that, over on the Azimuth Project.

I agree with David that the presentation of data is an art - a MBA would simply call it "reporting", which includes data tables, not only graphs or other kinds of pictures. Reporting is about identifying the most important data, collecting and aggregating data, ignoring unimportant data, and presenting them in a way that is intelligible from the POV of the intended audience. Maybe there is a better word to express this, but for the time being IMHO "visualization" is OK.

Comment Source:I agree with David that the presentation of data is an art - a MBA would simply call it "reporting", which includes data tables, not only graphs or other kinds of pictures. Reporting is about identifying the most important data, collecting and aggregating data, ignoring unimportant data, and presenting them in a way that is intelligible from the POV of the intended audience. Maybe there is a better word to express this, but for the time being IMHO "visualization" is OK.

The main thing about categories is that everyone should know what they mean.

Comment Source:The main thing about categories is that everyone should know what they mean.

Extracting information from large data sets is a difficult problem in many research area, and some research institutes now employ professionals trained in the visual display of information to work with their scientists. The Broad Institute, Harvard and MIT, is an example. Collating large data sets from different sources is a related but different problem. My own area uses XML formats to remove dependence on proprietary software, but such independence is never complete - think of the microcode that processes the spectrum response on the CCD in your digital camera.

Comment Source:Extracting information from large data sets is a difficult problem in many research area, and some research institutes now employ professionals trained in the visual display of information to work with their scientists. The [Broad Institute](http://www.broadinstitute.org/vis), Harvard and MIT, is an example. Collating large data sets from different sources is a related but different problem. My own area uses XML formats to remove dependence on proprietary software, but such independence is never complete - think of the microcode that processes the spectrum response on the CCD in your digital camera.