Options

Software engineering on Azimuth?

Graham Jones pointed out an article about scientific computing in this thread; the hypothesis of the author is that the field of scientific computing could and should benefit from the know how of software engineers.

Question is, if and how this topic could be handled on the Azimuth project: E.g. I could occasionally post some code and comment on specific design decisions, link to books and online resources etc. Would that be a distraction rather than helpful? Should it be done on separate pages with a special category like "software engineering"? Or shouldn't it be done at all?

Comments

edited November 2010

The thrust of the Azimuth Project should be

• creating a focal point for scientists and engineers interested in saving the planet,

and

• making clearly presented, accurate information on the relevant issues easy to find.

So, anything that gets software engineers involved in environmental issues, or helps people already involved in environmental issues develop software, is great. Material on software engineering without a clear link to environmental issues could be a bit distracting at this stage. Ultimately, of course, the Azimuth Project has the potential to assimilate lots of different subjects. But right now I want it to have a clear thrust, so that people coming to it can tell what it's about.

So, probably I'd urge you to integrate software engineering issues into the existing pages, making clear their link to environmental issues, rather than creating a separate "island" of information.

Comment Source:The thrust of the Azimuth Project should be * creating a focal point for scientists and engineers interested in saving the planet, and * making clearly presented, accurate information on the relevant issues easy to find. So, anything that gets software engineers involved in environmental issues, or helps people already involved in environmental issues develop software, is **great**. Material on software engineering without a clear link to environmental issues could be a bit distracting at this stage. Ultimately, of course, the Azimuth Project has the potential to assimilate lots of different subjects. But right now I want it to have a clear thrust, so that people coming to it can tell what it's about. So, probably I'd urge you to integrate software engineering issues into the existing pages, making clear their link to environmental issues, rather than creating a separate "island" of information.