Options

public climate data available on AWS S3

I just came across the following datasets in hosted on AWS S3. That makes them convenient to process if one uses AWS.

https://aws.amazon.com/datasets/Climate

CCAFS-Climate Data

High resolution climate data to help assess the impacts of climate change primarily on agriculture. These open access datasets of climate projections will help researchers make climate change impact assessments. Last Modified: Dec 8, 2014 18:49 PM GMT

NASA NEX

Three NASA NEX datasets are now available, including climate projections and satellite images of Earth. Last Modified: Nov 12, 2013 13:27 PM GMT

Daily Global Weather Measurements, 1929-2009 (NCDC, GSOD)

A collection of daily weather measurements (temperature, wind speed, humidity, pressure, &c.) from 9000+ weather stations around the world. Last Modified: Sep 29, 2009 0:48 AM GMT

Comments

"Free to join. Only pay for what you use. " (citation from next to the sign up button)

Do you know who get's what is payed for? NASA or Amazon or both?

Comment Source:>"Free to join. Only pay for what you use. " (citation from next to the <a href="https://aws.amazon.com/datasets/Climate">sign up button</a>) Do you know who get's what is payed for? NASA or Amazon or both?

nad I think that is a button to create an AWS account the quote refers to the use of AWS resources in general. Usually the highest costs are for machine time and that goes to Amazon. If you run an EC2 machine in AWS then using it to read data in S3 is free. There are fees for pulling data from S3 to machines outside AWS.

Comment Source:nad I think that is a button to create an AWS account the quote refers to the use of AWS resources in general. Usually the highest costs are for machine time and that goes to Amazon. If you run an EC2 machine in AWS then using it to read data in S3 is free. There are fees for pulling data from S3 to machines outside AWS.
    nad
    edited May 2015

If you run an EC2 machine in AWS then using it to read data in S3 is free. There are fees for pulling data from S3 to machines outside AWS.

Aha thanks. Do you know who is expected to pay for this ?

Comment Source:>If you run an EC2 machine in AWS then using it to read data in S3 is free. There are fees for pulling data from S3 to machines outside AWS. Aha thanks. Do you know who is expected to pay for this ?

I pay for my Amazon AWS about $16 a month

"Greetings from Amazon Web Services, This e-mail confirms that your latest billing statement, for the account ending in ****7762, is available on the AWS web site. Your account will be charged the following: Total: $16.24"

AWS-hosted Dynamic Context Model server

It is running pretty reliably lately.

Comment Source:I pay for my Amazon AWS about $16 a month > "Greetings from Amazon Web Services, > This e-mail confirms that your latest billing statement, for the account ending in ****7762, is available on the AWS web site. Your account will be charged the following: > Total: $16.24" AWS-hosted [Dynamic Context Model server](http://23.23.137.157/) It is running pretty reliably lately.