Options

Big-budget version of the Azimuth Project

Here's a project that sounds superficially like the Azimuth Project. It's supposed to be an "open platform to enable joining forces on addressing global development and sustainability challenges":

They even have a 3-syllable mysterious word as the name of their project, just like us! But one big difference is that it's funded by Unilever, and has a bunch of partners involved: PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, Kantar, Nielsen, MetrixLab, GfK, Flamingo, Save The Children, MRS, Esomar and Sapient Nitro.

Stan Sthanunathan, senior vice president of Consumer & Market Insights at Unilever, said:

The past year has set the precedent with highly ambitious goals and frameworks created to address global sustainability and development challenges that we all face. It is time to accelerate efforts to move towards achieving these goals and Paragon will allow us to share learning, data and insight, and encourages other businesses and industries to address these critical challenges affecting us all.

Comments

John,

It's extremely hard to believe that those global profit hungry companies are turning benevolent, I'm with you on this one.

Steven

Comment Source:John, It's extremely hard to believe that those global profit hungry companies are turning benevolent, I'm with you on this one. Steven

Research Companies interact with and analyse the behaviours and opinions of billions of people every year, providing a unique source of insight into the human condition.

Clients leverage that information to sharpen the focus of their sustainability initiatives.

Research Companies and their Clients generate and provide access to quality insights on the issues that the world is facing, helping Governments, Academics and NGO’s around the world to accomplish their goals.

This doesn't sound much different from the usual lobbying (aka "informing" governments etc.) by companies (and their "research companies"), apart from the fact that the particular lobbying agenda is here apparently bound to be somewhat related to certain UN goals and that the lobbying is not going to take place in some e.g. Brussels back room but on a platform run by those companies (instead of e.g. governments). Where the sentences:

Governments have the highest quality macro level data about the state of the world, its economy and resources.

The data will be hosted on a single platform to democratise the information

should be scrutinized.

That is data can't be hosted by a platform. A platform can facilitate the access to hosted data and/or there could be a central hosting facility of copied data connected with a platform.

Comment Source: >Research Companies interact with and analyse the behaviours and opinions of billions of people every year, providing a unique source of insight into the human condition. >Clients leverage that information to sharpen the focus of their sustainability initiatives. >Research Companies and their Clients generate and provide access to quality insights on the issues that the world is facing, helping Governments, Academics and NGO’s around the world to accomplish their goals. This doesn't sound much different from the usual lobbying (aka "informing" governments etc.) by companies (and their "research companies"), apart from the fact that the particular lobbying agenda is here apparently bound to be somewhat related to certain UN goals and that the lobbying is not going to take place in some e.g. Brussels back room but on a platform run by those companies (instead of e.g. governments). Where the sentences: >Governments have the highest quality macro level data about the state of the world, its economy and resources. >The data will be hosted on a single platform to democratise the information should be scrutinized. That is data can't be hosted by a platform. A platform can facilitate the access to hosted data and/or there could be a central hosting facility of copied data connected with a platform.

Paragon is interesting but I would be wary. It is unlikely they are like Azimuth, in having an agenda to actually save the planet. It is more likely they are trying to gather information on people who have a genuine interest in that goal, so they can redirect those folks by supplying information on how Green they are, or what is being done by the Corporations to aid the environment, reduce pollution, limit global warming, and so on.

I have the sense their website is designed for the mass dissemination of carefully filtered information, rather than an effort to crowd-source the public's good ideas about how to save the Earth. I would rather express support of their efforts through public relations, but I would not be hasty to endorse what they are doing as an answer to global problems. It is a step in the right direction, but mainly for Corporate PR impact.

Comment Source:Paragon is interesting but I would be wary. It is unlikely they are like Azimuth, in having an agenda to actually save the planet. It is more likely they are trying to gather information on people who have a genuine interest in that goal, so they can redirect those folks by supplying information on how Green they are, or what is being done by the Corporations to aid the environment, reduce pollution, limit global warming, and so on. I have the sense their website is designed for the mass dissemination of carefully filtered information, rather than an effort to crowd-source the public's good ideas about how to save the Earth. I would rather express support of their efforts through public relations, but I would not be hasty to endorse what they are doing as an answer to global problems. It is a step in the right direction, but mainly for Corporate PR impact.