Options

Possible non-enivronmental blog article

HI all. Some people may not know me: back when Azimuth started I had some "free time" and was working from home so I had pretty much constant internet access so I read and contributed to the forums a lot. Unfortunately for the past few years I've been a heavy commuter so while I still have the same amount of time, I don't have the internet access and haven't been reading the forums for a while. So apologies if this is stuff that's been discussed, but here's a couple of questions:

1. I'm working on a short Azimuth-length-ish post thats about maths but not environmentally related. There have been some articles on general maths there, so as a question of general principle would such a post be considered? (Obviously further debates about quality are needed, etc).

2. Secondly, if there is potential, what's the best choice of markup for stuff heading to the blog these days? (I've done quite a bit of the writing, but no mark-up yet.) This involves maths so there'll be some form of embedded latex, but html or markdown for the words?

Comments

edited September 2016

Hi David - great to hear from you. Absolutely a post on math would be considered.

The way I think of it is that we take a very broad and inclusive view of what "environmentally related" means. We're mathematicians, programmers, etc., who are interested and concerned about environmental problems. To the extent possible our writings can be of direct environmental interest, that's great, but sometimes we need to just need to work on what are already good at -- contributing to the surrounding areas of math etc.

I believe the blog (wordpress) now supports markdown. You could start with that, and if there are issues when we post it, then either you or we could edit it. The hard part is doing the writing!

Comment Source:Hi David - great to hear from you. Absolutely a post on math would be considered. The way I think of it is that we take a very broad and inclusive view of what "environmentally related" means. We're mathematicians, programmers, etc., who are interested and concerned about environmental problems. To the extent possible our writings can be of direct environmental interest, that's great, but sometimes we need to just need to work on what are already good at -- contributing to the surrounding areas of math etc. I believe the blog (wordpress) now supports markdown. You could start with that, and if there are issues when we post it, then either you or we could edit it. The hard part is doing the writing!

Thanks David. I'll let people know via a new thread once I've got a rough draft put up (probably not for 3 days -- a week from now.)

Comment Source:Thanks David. I'll let people know via a new thread once I've got a rough draft put up (probably not for 3 days -- a week from now.)
    edited September 2016

Some math posts would be great! Welcome back!

Fairly complete directions for how to write blog articles are on the wiki:

You can save us time if you write equations in the format described.

Comment Source:Some math posts would be great! Welcome back! Fairly complete directions for how to write blog articles are on the wiki: * <a href = "http://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/How+to#blog">How to write a blog article</a>. You can save us time if you write equations in the format described.