Options

Best way to do new math commands on forum?

There's one notion that I'd like to use in a blog article that's semi-nonstandard, namely I'd like to use a "defined equal-to" notation when I'm introducing a new short "name" for a quantity to distinguish it from the case of two "independent" sides being equal, just for clarity. At the moment in LaTeX I'm using \def\defeq{\mathrel{:=}} to get the commonly used := operator. Obviously that won't fly on the wiki or wordpress, but what's the best course: just replace the uses of defeq with a literal := and take how that gets formatted, or something else? (This is assuming there's not an alternative set of symbols to := for "defined as equal to" that'd be preferred?)

Comments

:= will come out looking okay, and there's really nothing else to do on the wiki or the blog. In better TeX environments there's an embarrassingly large number of ways to make nicer-looking versions of this symbol, but none of them seem applicable here.

Comment Source::= will come out looking okay, and there's really nothing else to do on the wiki or the blog. In better TeX environments there's an [embarrassingly large number of ways](http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/28855) to make nicer-looking versions of this symbol, but none of them seem applicable here.