Options

Partner for proposal? Mapping how to figure things out

John and all,

I am looking for an international partner who would like to sign on to a proposal that I want to make to the Lithuanian Science Council. The main goal is to collect and organize all manner of methodologies for figuring things out, and in particular, to find a natural way of organizing mathematics. My proposal thus may be relevant for the Azimuth Project.

Every year the Lithuanian Science Council disburses 11 million euros to about 100 small teams of scientists. The maximum grant is 120,000 euros and the deadline to apply is February 13, 2017. A project is typically three years. I would lead a small team. It would go through my employer, Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Department of Philosophy and Communications.

The particular grant that I want to apply for requires a single and rather nominal international partner. The partner should be a research and/or educational institution receiving some sort of research funding. Indeed, the funding could be for some existing project. The partner simply needs to specify a project leader and sign an agreement of participation. The partner can be in the US or in most other countries.

By way of example, I hope to draw heavily on content and metadata from MathOverflow, MathStackExchange, Wikipedia, nLab and other such sites. I want to make a map of mathematical concepts. It would be great to get help to write a query at MathOverflow to calculate which tags are most likely to go together in posts, so as to create an adjacency graph of areas in math. Such assistance would be one example of a successful partnership.

Regarding the Azimuth Project, an especially meaningful help would be outreach to engage others around the world to contribute ways of figuring things out, especially as related to climate change. It could be allowing my project's activity to take place at the Azimuth Project wiki and forum. For the Lithuanian Science Council, this would be especially attractive because Lithuania and its scientists would receive a lot of good publicity. That is doubly relevant as we grow concerned how to stay independent in the face of a predictably lawless Russia and unpredictably committed United States.

Most important for the Lithuanian Science Council is that there be an official institutional partner that gets official research funding. You know how they are. :)

I hope to sketch out my research proposal in some more detail tomorrow.

Comments

edited February 21

Hi John and all, I didn't hear from you or find any partner interested in working together in Math. Instead, my friend and boss in tobacco control agreed to be my partner. I wrote a proposal that was geared to my personal interests. I'm not sure how relevant that could be for the Azimuth Project. Here is what I proposed:

A Theological, Philosophical, Psychological and Sociological Model of Unlimited Personal Growth

Dr. Kulikauskas considers: How to nurture an alternative culture of independent thinkers? Since 1982, by way of hundreds of investigations, he has developed a comprehensive philosophy which fosters an attitude of learning, growing and living forever.

Dr. Kulikauskas is working to establish his philosophy as a practice of inquiry which may inspire a culture of independent thinkers. He seeks financial support for three years:

• To make his philosophy accessible as a theoretical Overview and as a practical Handbook.
    • To foster a community of practice by organizing monthly workshops.
    • To interest various disciplines of the academic world with 12 presentations in Lithuania, 12 presentations in other countries and 12 academic papers in international journals.
    • To test his philosophy by applying it to a quantitative, scientific, real life challenge: accurately modeling the behavior and morality of addictive drug use by individuals and groups.

A unifying theme in Dr.Kulikauskas's work is unlimited personal growth. He thinks of this as learning, in other words, as growing in understanding for oneself. This includes first-hand understanding of theology and philosophy by exploring the limits of one's imagination. It also includes first-hand understanding of psychology and sociology by empathizing with people in the widest variety of real life experiences. He seeks to formulate a model which makes sense theologically, philosophically, psychologically and sociologically. Such a model may ground a practice of inquiry which defines a new culture.

Comment Source:Hi John and all, I didn't hear from you or find any partner interested in working together in Math. Instead, my friend and boss in tobacco control agreed to be my partner. I wrote a proposal that was geared to my personal interests. I'm not sure how relevant that could be for the Azimuth Project. Here is what I proposed: <b>A Theological, Philosophical, Psychological and Sociological Model of Unlimited Personal Growth</b> Dr. Kulikauskas considers: How to nurture an alternative culture of independent thinkers? Since 1982, by way of hundreds of investigations, he has developed a comprehensive philosophy which fosters an attitude of learning, growing and living forever. Dr. Kulikauskas is working to establish his philosophy as a practice of inquiry which may inspire a culture of independent thinkers. He seeks financial support for three years: <ul><li> To make his philosophy accessible as a theoretical Overview and as a practical Handbook. <li> To foster a community of practice by organizing monthly workshops. <li> To interest various disciplines of the academic world with 12 presentations in Lithuania, 12 presentations in other countries and 12 academic papers in international journals. <li> To test his philosophy by applying it to a quantitative, scientific, real life challenge: accurately modeling the behavior and morality of addictive drug use by individuals and groups.</ul> A unifying theme in Dr.Kulikauskas's work is unlimited personal growth. He thinks of this as learning, in other words, as growing in understanding for oneself. This includes first-hand understanding of theology and philosophy by exploring the limits of one's imagination. It also includes first-hand understanding of psychology and sociology by empathizing with people in the widest variety of real life experiences. He seeks to formulate a model which makes sense theologically, philosophically, psychologically and sociologically. Such a model may ground a practice of inquiry which defines a new culture.

I think part of the relevance could be that global warming need not be thought simply as a technological challenge. It is caused by people and exacerbated by people. I think it's reasonable to approach it as a people problem. At least that could be one angle.

Comment Source:I think part of the relevance could be that global warming need not be thought simply as a technological challenge. It is caused by people and exacerbated by people. I think it's reasonable to approach it as a people problem. At least that could be one angle.

That's certainly an important angle. Alas, I don't feel especially smart when it comes to people.

Comment Source:That's certainly an important angle. Alas, I don't feel especially smart when it comes to people.

AI bots apparently know how to deal with the people problem:

http://shareblue.com/fake-social-media-accounts-spammed-you-51-pro-trump-during-campaign/

Comment Source:AI bots apparently know how to deal with the people problem: http://shareblue.com/fake-social-media-accounts-spammed-you-51-pro-trump-during-campaign/