Options

David Tweed

It appears that David Tweed, once active in the Azimuth Project, has ended his own life. This is very sad. He was a great guy. I knew he was suffering from depression.

On Google+ we read this post on his account:

David chose to leave the world on 12/1/2017 and as his last wish was to ensure that his donation arrived at Kick Starter Project. We would be grateful if anyone could confirm this. The Family of David Tweed.

He indeed contributed $500.

Comments

That is terrible. I know that he was a great guy, just from his activity here.

Comment Source:That is terrible. I know that he was a great guy, just from his activity here.
    edited January 24

I do not know what to say. I was thinking about David today, about his nobility in his contribution, and thinking that, after joking with Sakari of the Azimuth Backup Project, that we might get together in London, whether this might be the opportunity for a larger group to get together, including David.

This is hard. I'm stunned. I've had this situation a number of times before, although I did not know David Tweed well. A girl in high school ... A boy I knew in elementary school ... As an adult, a woman graduate student at Cornell who worked on a project with Akamai and my department. A lad I mentored when he was in high school who chose to leave when he was still an apparently successful sophomore engineering student in college. A colleague when I worked at Cornell.

I know a little about depression, but I am very lucky that I have never had it that badly. But it can be terrible.

I don't know what to say. I know it must be hard on John.

This will take time, but I think it only appropriate that we memorialize David in some way, down the road.

Comment Source:I do not know <em>what</em> to say. I was thinking about David today, about his nobility in his contribution, and thinking that, after joking with Sakari of the Azimuth Backup Project, that we might get together in London, whether this might be the opportunity for a larger group to get together, including David. This is hard. I'm stunned. I've had this situation a number of times before, although I did not know David Tweed well. A girl in high school ... A boy I knew in elementary school ... As an adult, a woman graduate student at Cornell who worked on a project with Akamai and my department. A lad I mentored when he was in high school who chose to leave when he was still an apparently successful sophomore engineering student in college. A colleague when I worked at Cornell. I know a little about depression, but I am very lucky that I have never had it that badly. But it can be terrible. I don't know what to say. I know it must be hard on John. This will take time, but I think it only appropriate that we memorialize David in some way, down the road.

This is terrible. I didn't know that he was suffering from depression and I interacted with him here only a bit on the forum, but still this also leaves me quite speechless.

Comment Source:This is terrible. I didn't know that he was suffering from depression and I interacted with him here only a bit on the forum, but still this also leaves me quite speechless.

So sad and shocking. I sort of gathered he suffered from depression, but had no idea it was so serious.

Comment Source:So sad and shocking. I sort of gathered he suffered from depression, but had no idea it was so serious.

I will write something about him for the Azimuth blog. Apparently his relatives didn't know much about the details of what he was doing; I know a bit about that, though not as much as I should have.

Comment Source:I will write something about him for the Azimuth blog. Apparently his relatives didn't know much about the details of what he was doing; I know a _bit_ about that, though not as much as I should have.
    edited January 30

Suggestion, John you could post his most recent blog article, in whatever state of completeness that it is in, and add some prefatory remarks about him.

Comment Source:Suggestion, John you could post his most recent blog article, in whatever state of completeness that it is in, and add some prefatory remarks about him.

I'm planning to do just that.

Comment Source:I'm planning to do just that.