Options

Introduction: Simon Willerton

I'm Simon Willerton and I am a pure mathematician at the University of Sheffield. I am a co-host with John and others at the n-Category Cafe and was half of the Catsters.

I am a geometer/topologist at heart and got into category theory via topological quantum field theory. I became interested in how enriched categories related to ideas outside of maths for instance, I had a student working on fuzzy concept analysis, see also my post on PERT charts. In particular, I have been interested in viewing metric spaces as enriched categories and how that gives rise to a notion of size, "magnitude", which has connections to things like measuring biodiversity.

Comments

Hi, Simon - great to see you here! There is some pent-up demand for applying category theory to ecology and solving the world's energy and environmental problems. Tom Leinster and Christina Cobbold's work on biodiversity is a nice example... maybe you or he could explain that here once we get going. On the other hand, my work with Metron on complex adaptive system design is making me interested in gluing together PERT charts (which are ways of organizing complex multi-step tasks). This could be immensely practical - but I haven't gotten around to seriously studying it yet! And there are plenty of other ways that category theory could help people who want to "save the planet".

Comment Source:Hi, Simon - great to see you here! There is some pent-up demand for applying category theory to ecology and solving the world's energy and environmental problems. [Tom Leinster and Christina Cobbold's work on biodiversity](http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~tl/ncse/ncse_talk.pdf) is a nice example... maybe you or he could explain that here once we get going. On the other hand, my [work with Metron on complex adaptive system design](https://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/complex-adaptive-systems-part-7/) is making me interested in gluing together PERT charts (which are ways of organizing complex multi-step tasks). This could be immensely practical - but I haven't gotten around to seriously studying it yet! And there are plenty of other ways that category theory could help people who want to "save the planet".

Hi Simon. I just want to say, Eugenia's and your work on the Catsters was superb. I even downloaded all the videos to my laptop for offline viewing.

Comment Source:Hi Simon. I just want to say, Eugenia's and your work on the Catsters was superb. I even downloaded all the videos to my laptop for offline viewing.