Options

Introduction: Alex Varga

Hi everyone!

I'm here for the Applied Category Theory Course. I recently graduated with an Sc.B. in Computer Science, but should have taken more pure math. I'm definitely interested in this whole "saving the planet" thing, but I'm not sure where to start (ranked choice voting?). Interest dump: programming languages, logic, reflection, exploration, freedom, and dogs.

Comments

Hi! When it comes to saving the planet, there's so much to do that we should probably each take what we're best at, figure out how to turn it toward this goal, and do that. For example I'm really good at abstract math, so - after some false starts I realized I should take that talent, turn it away from pure mathematics and fundamental physics, and turn it towards math that can help us design better systems: "ecotechnology". That's why I'm doing applied category theory. It's probably not the best thing anyone can do to save the planet, but it might be the best thing I can do. And so here we are!

Comment Source:Hi! When it comes to saving the planet, there's so much to do that we should probably each take what we're best at, figure out how to turn it toward this goal, and do that. For example I'm really good at abstract math, so - after some false starts I realized I should take that talent, turn it _away_ from pure mathematics and fundamental physics, and turn it _towards_ math that can help us design better systems: "ecotechnology". That's why I'm doing applied category theory. It's probably not the best thing _anyone_ can do to save the planet, but it might be the best thing _I_ can do. And so here we are!

Thanks for your insightful response! I'll give that some thought...

Comment Source:Thanks for your insightful response! I'll give that some thought...