Options

Introduction: Dan Schmidt

Hi all. I programmed and designed video games for a long time, then recently started a second career doing research in mathematical optimization and inference, which in the last couple of years has meant mostly looking at machine learning and neural networks.

I can't stop learning about things, and category theory keeps bubbling up around the edges of whatever I'm learning about (mathematics, physics, programming language theory). I've read a couple of chapters of a few books on it, but have never really gotten deep enough to get my hands dirty. Category theory is so abstract, by design, that it seems to be difficult to get your hands very dirty, which I guess this book is supposed to address! I look forward to finally getting a more in-depth understanding of some of its concepts.

Other passions include chess, Go, and music composition and analysis.

Comments

What exactly are you working on in machine learning and NN? More along the mathematics side, or applying it to specific domains? I am asking as I am in economics and machine learning is the new hotness (both in the good and the bad ways).

Comment Source:What exactly are you working on in machine learning and NN? More along the mathematics side, or applying it to specific domains? I am asking as I am in economics and machine learning is the new hotness (both in the good and the bad ways).

Sorry, I didn't check on this thread for a while! I and the people in my group are doing a mix of both; we are both working on real-world applications, which mostly means implementing and testing a bunch of techniques and ideas that are already out there, and doing fundamental research, such as trying to find new ways to train neural networks.

Comment Source:Sorry, I didn't check on this thread for a while! I and the people in my group are doing a mix of both; we are both working on real-world applications, which mostly means implementing and testing a bunch of techniques and ideas that are already out there, and doing fundamental research, such as trying to find new ways to train neural networks.
    edited May 2018

Hi Dan, I'd love to know what fields of real world optimisation your group is working on?

Comment Source:Hi Dan, I'd love to know what fields of real world optimisation your group is working on?