Options

Introduction: Rudi Grinberg

Like many others, my first exposure to category theory was via functional programming (in Haskell). Since then I've read countless blog posts, and have finished Bartosz Mileweski's online lectures about the subject. My original goal was to improve my functional programming, and while I think I accomplished that, I've also found the subject interesting in its own right. I'm here to pursue it further.

Comments

edited March 2018

Great! I don't really program so much, so I found it very strange when I first started reading about monads in Haskell... I was perfectly familiar and comfortable with monads in algebra, topology and other subjects, but computer scientists talk about them a very different way than mathematicians: it made a familiar subject seem unfamiliar again! By now I basically get the idea... but not through direct experience of programming.

I urge everyone who likes programming and is interested in category theory to read this:

Comment Source:Great! I don't really program so much, so I found it very strange when I first started reading about monads in Haskell... I was perfectly familiar and comfortable with monads in algebra, topology and other subjects, but computer scientists talk about them a very different way than mathematicians: it made a familiar subject seem unfamiliar again! By now I basically get the idea... but not through direct experience of programming. I urge everyone who likes programming and is interested in category theory to read this: * Bartosz Mileweski, _[Category Theory for Programmers](https://bartoszmilewski.com/2014/10/28/category-theory-for-programmers-the-preface/)_.