Options

Carbon emissions

Another long-needed page:

Carbon emissions

Perhaps not the best title, but we need a lot of data of this sort in a page like this...

Comments

Burning I mole of carbon produces 1 mole of carbon dioxide and removes 1 mole of oxygen from the atmosphere.

Comment Source:Burning I [mole](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28unit%29) of carbon produces 1 mole of carbon dioxide and removes 1 mole of oxygen from the atmosphere.

Moles are nice, but it seems everyone uses units of mass.

Comment Source:Moles are nice, but it seems everyone uses units of mass.

I just added a bunch of information to Carbon emissions: historical total carbon emissions, and future projections.

Comment Source:I just added a bunch of information to [[Carbon emissions]]: historical total carbon emissions, and future projections.

I uploaded two graphics, one comparing 1990 and 2004 emissions for G8 and O5 countries, the other showing the emissions of Germany by source group. I think MacKay said somewhere that transportation uses one third of all the energy, but according to the chart transportation has a share of 20% or even below, only.

Comment Source:I uploaded two graphics, one comparing 1990 and 2004 emissions for G8 and O5 countries, the other showing the emissions of Germany by source group. I think MacKay said somewhere that transportation uses one third of all the energy, but according to the chart transportation has a share of 20% or even below, only.

Nice graphics, Tim! I added some extra information to this page today, and in the spirit of friendly competition I put the UN page back on top. Then I felt sorry for Germany and added it to the list of the top CO2-emitting countries: it comes in 7th place. Then I felt sorry for the Azimuth Forum members who come from the UK, and added it to the list too: it comes in 8th.

More importantly, I added information and links concerning per capita CO2 emissions, including this basic fact: in 2007 the average person in the world emitted 4.4 tonnes of carbon dioxide by burning 1.2 tonnes of carbon.

Comment Source:Nice graphics, Tim! I added some extra information to this page today, and in the spirit of friendly competition I put the UN page back on top. Then I felt sorry for Germany and added it to the list of the top CO<sub>2</sub>-emitting countries: it comes in 7th place. Then I felt sorry for the Azimuth Forum members who come from the UK, and added it to the list too: it comes in 8th. More importantly, I added information and links concerning _per capita_ CO<sub>2</sub> emissions, including this basic fact: in 2007 the average person in the world emitted 4.4 tonnes of carbon dioxide by burning 1.2 tonnes of carbon.

I updated our Carbon emissions page to include 2011 data in the Quick figures section. I always struggle to find the information I need when preparing talks!

Comment Source:I updated our [[Carbon emissions]] page to include 2011 data in the [[Carbon emissions#Quick|Quick figures]] section. I always struggle to find the information I need when preparing talks!