Options

Conferences

I added more info to our Conferences list.

Comments

edited January 2011

This page does not seem to be much used yet, but anyway, I added this:

Tutorial speakers (5hr each):

Alison Etheridge (University of Oxford) Modelling evolution of spatially distributed populations

Steve Evans (University of California at Berkeley) Metagenomics and metrics on spaces of probability measures

Elchanan Mossel (University of California at Berkeley) Reconstruction of Markov processes and networks in phylogenetics and genetics

and this:

Tutorial speakers (5hr each):

Chris Cannings (University of Sheffield) Evolutionary conflict theory

Persi Diaconis (Stanford University) Limits of graphs and networks

Rick Durrett (Duke University) Cancer modeling

Susan Holmes (Stanford University) Phylogeny, trees and the human microbiome

I'm registered for both of these and hope to learn something and meet some interesting people. I've already met Persi Diaconis, who ran away from home to travel with sleight-of-hand magician Dai Vernon, promised himself that he'd return to school one day so that he could learn all of the math necessary to read William Feller's An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications, and later got a Ph.D. at Harvard. He gave my wife a copy of a paper where he'd computed the probability of getting any one of the 64 I Ching hexagrams by traditional yarrow stalk divination. So, it'll be cool to see him doing some serious math.

Comment Source:This page does not seem to be much used yet, but anyway, I added this: >* [Topics on Discrete Mathematics and Probability in Population Biology and Genetics](http://www2.ims.nus.edu.sg//Programs/011mathbio/index.php#Activities). Tutorial: 21 - 25 Mar 2011, Workshop: 28 Mar - 1 Apr 2011. Institute for Mathematical Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore. >Tutorial speakers (5hr each): >Alison Etheridge (University of Oxford) >Modelling evolution of spatially distributed populations >Steve Evans (University of California at Berkeley) >Metagenomics and metrics on spaces of probability measures >Elchanan Mossel (University of California at Berkeley) >Reconstruction of Markov processes and networks in phylogenetics and genetics and this: >* [Topics on Discrete Mathematics and Probability in Networks and Population Biology](http://www2.ims.nus.edu.sg//Programs/011mathbio/index.php#Activities). Tutorial: 2 - 6 May 2011, Workshop: 9 - 13 May 2011. Institute for Mathematical Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore. >Tutorial speakers (5hr each): >Chris Cannings (University of Sheffield) >Evolutionary conflict theory >Persi Diaconis (Stanford University) >Limits of graphs and networks >Rick Durrett (Duke University) >Cancer modeling >Susan Holmes (Stanford University) >Phylogeny, trees and the human microbiome I'm registered for both of these and hope to learn something and meet some interesting people. I've already met Persi Diaconis, who ran away from home to travel with sleight-of-hand magician Dai Vernon, promised himself that he'd return to school one day so that he could learn all of the math necessary to read William Feller's _An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications_, and later got a Ph.D. at Harvard. He gave my wife a copy of a paper where he'd computed the probability of getting any one of the 64 _I Ching_ hexagrams by traditional yarrow stalk divination. So, it'll be cool to see him doing some serious math.

I copied a bunch of conference announcement from the blog to

Conferences

Comment Source:I copied a bunch of conference announcement from the blog to [[Conferences]]
    edited July 2011

I added Mathematics of planet Earth 2013 http://www.mpe2013.org, though it is an organized activity scattered through several institutes. It has organizing committee etc. With the support of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) and the International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (ICMI).

John, will you be involved ?

Comment Source:I added __Mathematics of planet Earth 2013__ <http://www.mpe2013.org>, though it is an organized activity scattered through several institutes. It has organizing committee etc. With the support of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) and the International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (ICMI). John, will you be involved ?
    edited August 2011

Zoran: I wrote about Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013 here, asking if anyone was interested in writing a proposal with me for a project at CRM, and talking about something vaguely related I'll be doing at CRM in 2012.

I also posted this comment/question to the Azimuth circle on Google+.

We'll see what happens!

Comment Source:Zoran: I wrote about **Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013** [here](http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/mathematics-of-planet-earth/#comment-7021), asking if anyone was interested in writing a proposal with me for a project at CRM, and talking about something vaguely related I'll be doing at CRM in 2012. I also posted this comment/question to the Azimuth circle on Google+. We'll see what happens!
    edited August 2011

I added a link to the CRM conference "The Mathematics of Biodiversity" to our

Conferences

page. I also added more information to Zoran's entry on "Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013".

Comment Source:I added a link to the CRM conference "The Mathematics of Biodiversity" to our [[Conferences]] page. I also added more information to Zoran's entry on "Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013".