Options

Peak oil

Hi, I'm new to the forum and shouldn't say much till I've caught up on some the conversations. Even then I should try not to say much because I don't have much relevant expertise, however I've been following the Peak Oil story fairly closely for a few years. Anyway here's a comment I made today on Kjell Aleklett's blog (president of ASPO):

Hi, I enjoyed your talk at Sydney Uni yesterday. I asked the second last question, about the current situation. I think you agreed with me that “If the world followed Paul Krugman’s advice and used all possible means to reflate the world economy back to Business As Usual, then that would require more oil production than is currently possible”. (Hence would dissipate as stagflation). If your research confirms this point [based on the current effective ratio of oil use to global production] then I think it is very important. You could reasonably say “This is what Peak Oil means to the ordinary citizen and to politicians”, that BAU is no longer an option. Time to start building that crash mat. By the way I call the crash mat “A Gift to the Future”, and I hold the gifttothefuture.org url, but I haven’t done anything with it yet.

(the crash mat refers to a cartoon in the talk showing a high jumper crossing peak oil portrayed as a high jump. The message: that we need to prepare, though specific measures were not mentioned.)

Comments

Actually I've just had a look at what's at the Gift to the Future web site. It is stuff that I wrote at the time I set it up, and I still agree with it. This might be a record for me holding an opinion without changing my mind.

Comment Source:Actually I've just had a look at what's at [the Gift to the Future](http://www.gifttothefuture.org) web site. It is stuff that I wrote at the time I set it up, and I still agree with it. This might be a record for me holding an opinion without changing my mind.

Hi! Good to see you here! I'm pretty sure you won't mind me revealing that "rks" is a short name for Robert Smart. We've got a page for you under the name Robert Smart on the Azimuth Project, since you made some changes there under that name.

Please let us know (in this thread, say) what Kjell Aleklett says in response to your comment!

Comment Source:Hi! Good to see you here! I'm pretty sure you won't mind me revealing that "rks" is a short name for [[Robert Smart]]. We've got a page for you under the name Robert Smart on the Azimuth Project, since you made some changes there under that name. Please let us know (in this thread, say) what Kjell Aleklett says in response to your comment!