Options

Introduction: Susan Potter

edited March 2018 in Chat

At work, I try to solve problems usually by designing, developing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and/or evolving software [distributed] systems. At home, I'm trying to teach my children the wonder of mathematics. Being able to apply the ideas and concepts in category theory to more situations will improve my fluidity in applying these techniques in both my work solutions and provide more accessible examples to my children.

Comments

Hello and welcome to the course. I’m another student and I also have a young child (almost 4 years old). It’s really great you are looking at category theory for novel ways to teach your kids. I think young kids have a lot more capacity for understanding abstract ideas than they are given credit for. I have introduced mine to some basic arithmetic, geometry and set theory. But I don’t yet have a systematic approach or any resources which I have found particularly good. Can I ask what age are your children and if you have found any good resources? Thank you, and good luck with the course!

Comment Source:Hello and welcome to the course. I’m another student and I also have a young child (almost 4 years old). It’s really great you are looking at category theory for novel ways to teach your kids. I think young kids have a lot more capacity for understanding abstract ideas than they are given credit for. I have introduced mine to some basic arithmetic, geometry and set theory. But I don’t yet have a systematic approach or any resources which I have found particularly good. Can I ask what age are your children and if you have found any good resources? Thank you, and good luck with the course!

Hello Nasos, I'm also very interested in learning, although I don't have children. Piaget did a lot of research on how mathematico-logical structures develop. In later years he was interested in category theory. There is a paper with a learning task that tries to model specifically category theoretic knowledge (https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/275811). Unfortunately the task description is a bit cryptic but maybe it can serve as an inspiration to find resources.

Comment Source:Hello Nasos, I'm also very interested in learning, although I don't have children. Piaget did a lot of research on how mathematico-logical structures develop. In later years he was interested in category theory. There is a paper with a learning task that tries to model specifically category theoretic knowledge (https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/275811). Unfortunately the task description is a bit cryptic but maybe it can serve as an inspiration to find resources.

Welcome and good luck, Twitter friend from afar!

Comment Source:Welcome and good luck, Twitter friend from afar!