Options

Introduction: Christian Williams

Hello! My name is Christian Williams, and I am a first-year PhD student of John Baez at UC Riverside. I'm very happy to say this; I think I'm exactly where I should be. My passion is to use abstract thought to reform the world, and this is epitomized in the inspiring endeavor of applied category theory. I've begun research in categorical distributed computation; I think this subject is of vital significance and vast possibility, yet it is only in its inception. This is true of all ACT, and that's why this course and this community is so important. Thanks for being here, and I am excited to learn and discuss with everyone.

Comments

Christian, thank you very much for your help in my early attempts to understand category theory. The study group I was participating in when I was asking you questions was conducted in https://www.scuttlebutt.nz/ which is a radically distributed computing system. Includes several category students as well as functional programmers. Categorical distributed computation should be right up their alley. Where do you want to go with such research? They might be able to help.

Comment Source:Christian, thank you very much for your help in my early attempts to understand category theory. The study group I was participating in when I was asking you questions was conducted in https://www.scuttlebutt.nz/ which is a radically distributed computing system. Includes several category students as well as functional programmers. Categorical distributed computation should be right up their alley. Where do you want to go with such research? They might be able to help.

Hello Bob, thank you! I'm sorry I just now saw this. Scuttlebutt looks very interesting; I definitely support better forms of social network.

Well, Dr. Baez and I are currently working "Enriched Lawvere Theories for Operational Semantics," primarily to give monads which generate sound type systems in Rholang, the language of the blockchain RChain. But there are many possible projects. In general, I'm really interested in the pi calculus, linear logic, string diagrams, double categories, and other powerful concepts in the study of distributed computation. There seems to be quite the "golden braid" of ideas, the realization of which will be a great endeavor of the next decade.

As I may have said before, I believe that innovative methods of collaboration between many groups of people will be necessary to fulfill this immense opportunity. But at the moment nobody has the full picture, and it's difficult to know how to begin such coordination, especially if you're just getting into the subject like we are. That's why groups like yours are great! We really just need everyone learning, exploring and sharing these ideas. This subject is now a veritable wellspring of exciting potential projects, so all it takes is an online conversation to start something fruitful.

I will attend the RChain conference soon, and I hope to discuss with them possibilities for "open source" collaboration. I'm not sure their position on this kind of idea at the moment, but we'll see. Thanks again for your interest and enthusiasm!

Comment Source:Hello Bob, thank you! I'm sorry I just now saw this. Scuttlebutt looks very interesting; I definitely support better forms of social network. Well, Dr. Baez and I are currently working "Enriched Lawvere Theories for Operational Semantics," primarily to give monads which generate sound type systems in Rholang, the language of the blockchain RChain. But there are many possible projects. In general, I'm really interested in the pi calculus, linear logic, string diagrams, double categories, and other powerful concepts in the study of distributed computation. There seems to be quite the "golden braid" of ideas, the realization of which will be a great endeavor of the next decade. As I may have said before, I believe that innovative methods of collaboration between many groups of people will be necessary to fulfill this immense opportunity. But at the moment nobody has the full picture, and it's difficult to know how to begin such coordination, especially if you're just getting into the subject like we are. That's why groups like yours are great! We really just need everyone learning, exploring and sharing these ideas. This subject is now a veritable wellspring of exciting potential projects, so all it takes is an online conversation to start something fruitful. I will attend the RChain conference soon, and I hope to discuss with them possibilities for "open source" collaboration. I'm not sure their position on this kind of idea at the moment, but we'll see. Thanks again for your interest and enthusiasm!

Hello Christian, thanks for responding. Please let me know what you learn about open source collaboration at the RChain conference. One of the best blockchain devs I know is very high on their architecture. I also had an email conversation with one of the founders who said they are talking about open-sourcing. Interesting times!

Comment Source:Hello Christian, thanks for responding. Please let me know what you learn about open source collaboration at the RChain conference. One of the best blockchain devs I know is very high on their architecture. I also had an email conversation with one of the founders who said they are talking about open-sourcing. Interesting times!

Hi, Christian! I'm glad you're starting to talk to people here. There are a lot of smart computer scientists in this joint.

Comment Source:Hi, Christian! I'm glad you're starting to talk to people here. There are a lot of smart computer scientists in this joint.