Options

Introduction: Gavin Casey

Hello Everyone,

I am a software engineer working in London, primarily in Scala and Python.

I have been writing software for around 30 years without ever really feeling I was learning to do anything fundamentally new or better until I came across functional programming which started to make sense of things in a more coherent way for me.

I have no formal background in Mathematics or Computer Science and have found it difficult to make progress beyond the most basic aspects of Category Theory so am very much hoping that this course will help me bridge the gap between my present limited understanding and my aspiration.

Cheers, Gavin

Comments

Greetings Gavin!

I am a much more junior Software Engineer (~5 years) with experience primarily in c#. I like the way you described writing software before learning functional programming. Similarly to what you described, I have felt that the deeper into software design I have delved, the clearer I can see fundamental properties of general computation that cannot be resolved with traditional design patterns or fancy new frameworks. I also have no formal background in mathematics or computer science, so it is nice to see I am not alone!

Regards, Stephen Marsh

Comment Source:Greetings Gavin! I am a much more junior Software Engineer (~5 years) with experience primarily in c#. I like the way you described writing software before learning functional programming. Similarly to what you described, I have felt that the deeper into software design I have delved, the clearer I can see fundamental properties of general computation that cannot be resolved with traditional design patterns or fancy new frameworks. I also have no formal background in mathematics or computer science, so it is nice to see I am not alone! Regards, Stephen Marsh