Options

Introduction: Joseph Ronan

I'm a 3rd (and final) year undergraduate studying Maths at Imperial College London and I'm here for the ACT course. This year I got to do courses on Logic & Set Theory and on Algebraic Topology so I've heard about Category Theory a lot recently. I never got a formal introduction to the subject as my university doesn't have a category theory course and I wasn't too interested in studying in my own time as I'm not looking to study pure mathematics any further. However when I discovered it had uses outside pure mathematics I became eager to discover more. I'm especially interested in uses with respect to data as I'm currently leaning towards working in data analytics (though I'm open to doing just about anything).

I won't be participating much at the start of the course as I have my finals in May and they're a tad more important at the moment, but I'll be a lot more free over Summer.

Outside of Mathematics I'm interested in experiencing as much culture as possible (books, galleries, gigs, etc. anything I have the time to do), playing folk music, discussing politics, Western history 1900-1950, Orwell, discussing video games, coffee, and ale.

Comments

edited April 2018

Hi Joseph, I too am a data scientist interested in category theory. (Officially, I'm a PhD student in statistics but I also do research in applied category theory.) Unfortunately, at the moment, the intersection of data scientists and applied category theorists is not too big--but I'm hoping it will grow! I'm a currently working on a project in this area. David Spivak and Brendan Fong just wrote a cool paper about understanding backpropagation as a functor. Probably there are other efforts that I'm unaware of.

Comment Source:Hi Joseph, I too am a data scientist interested in category theory. (Officially, I'm a PhD student in statistics but I also do research in applied category theory.) Unfortunately, at the moment, the intersection of data scientists and applied category theorists is not too big--but I'm hoping it will grow! I'm a currently working on a project in this area. David Spivak and Brendan Fong just wrote a cool paper about understanding [backpropagation as a functor](https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.10455). Probably there are other efforts that I'm unaware of.