Options

Exercise 50 - Chapter 1

edited April 2018 in Exercises

We can make any set \(X\) into a poset where we say \(x \leq y\) if and only if \(x = y\). A poset of this form is called the discrete poset.

Show that monotone maps between discrete posets are just functions.

Comments

Monotone maps are functions by definition. I'm not sure what this exercise was really asking.

Comment Source:Monotone maps are functions by definition. I'm not sure what this exercise was really asking.
    edited April 2018

I think the exercise is getting at the issue that there is no monotonic relation that needs to be preserved by the mapping, hence it is "just" a function.

Comment Source:I think the exercise is getting at the issue that there is no monotonic relation that needs to be preserved by the mapping, hence it is "just" a function.
    edited April 2018

Let \(P, Q\) be discrete preorders, and let \(f : P \to Q\) be a function. Let \(x, y \in P\), and suppose \(x \le y\); then \(x = y\), since \(P\) is a discrete preorder. So \(f(x) = f(y)\), hence \(f(x) \le f(y)\). Therefore, \(f\) is a monotone map.

Notice that we didn't actually use the fact that \(Q\) is a discrete preorder. Thus, any function out of a discrete preorder (to an arbitrary preorder) is a monotone map.

Comment Source:Let \\(P, Q\\) be discrete preorders, and let \\(f : P \to Q\\) be a function. Let \\(x, y \in P\\), and suppose \\(x \le y\\); then \\(x = y\\), since \\(P\\) is a discrete preorder. So \\(f(x) = f(y)\\), hence \\(f(x) \le f(y)\\). Therefore, \\(f\\) is a monotone map. Notice that we didn't actually use the fact that \\(Q\\) is a discrete preorder. Thus, any function out of a discrete preorder (to an arbitrary preorder) is a monotone map.
    edited April 2018

When a mathematician says "monotone maps between discrete posets are just functions", they mean that every function between discrete posets is a monotone map.

This is much stronger than saying "monotone maps between discrete posets are functions", which is also true, but boring. The word just changes everything.

But Jonathan is right: we can say even more. Remember, for any set \(X\):

1. Setting \(x \leq y\) if and only if \(x = y\) gives you a preorder on \(X\) called the discrete preorder.

2. Setting \(x \leq y \) for all \(x,y \in X\) gives you a preorder on \(X\) called the codiscrete preorder.

Any function from a discrete preorder to any preorder is a monotone map. Similarly, any function from any preorder to a codiscrete preorder is a monotone map!

Comment Source:When a mathematician says "monotone maps between discrete posets are _just_ functions", they mean that _every_ function between discrete posets is a monotone map. This is much stronger than saying "monotone maps between discrete posets are functions", which is also true, but boring. The word _just_ changes everything. But Jonathan is right: we can say even more. Remember, for any set \\(X\\): 1. Setting \\(x \leq y\\) if and only if \\(x = y\\) gives you a preorder on \\(X\\) called the **discrete** preorder. 2. Setting \\(x \leq y \\) for all \\(x,y \in X\\) gives you a preorder on \\(X\\) called the **codiscrete** preorder. Any function from a discrete preorder to any preorder is a monotone map. Similarly, any function from any preorder to a codiscrete preorder is a monotone map!

John wrote:

Setting \(x \leq y \) for all \(x,y \in X\) gives you a preorder on \(X\) called the codiscrete preorder.

Why is this preorder called "codiscrete"? In what sense is it dual to the discrete preorder?

Usually to obtain the dual of a category we reverse its arrows; but for the discrete preorder, reversing the inequalities should still give a discrete preorder.

Comment Source:[John](https://forum.azimuthproject.org/profile/17/John%20Baez) wrote: > Setting \\(x \leq y \\) for all \\(x,y \in X\\) gives you a preorder on \\(X\\) called the **codiscrete** preorder. Why is this preorder called "codiscrete"? In what sense is it dual to the discrete preorder? Usually to obtain the dual of a category we reverse its arrows; but for the discrete preorder, reversing the inequalities should still give a discrete preorder.

I assume it has something to do with this:

Any function from a discrete preorder to any preorder is a monotone map. Similarly, any function from any preorder to a codiscrete preorder is a monotone map!

I'd love to hear what the reason is well!

Comment Source:I assume it has something to do with this: > Any function from a discrete preorder to any preorder is a monotone map. Similarly, any function from any preorder to a codiscrete preorder is a monotone map! I'd love to hear what the reason is well!