Options

Introduction: Junhyong Kim

Hi Everybody,

I am currently a professor in the Department of Biology at Penn (http://kim.bio.upenn.edu). I am something of a generalist in biological sciences, having worked on topics ranging from population dynamics, mathematical phylogenetics, fruit-fly development, yeast cell cycles, and genomic technologies. In the last 12 years or so, I have been working in a new field called "Single Cell Biology" where we are developing new techniques to make measurements on individual cells and then make inferences on their assembly.

But, regardless of our published works, I like to think of myself as a "Theoretical Biologist"--at least this is what we used to call people like me before the advent of bioinformatics, computational biology, systems biology, etc, etc. My original introduction to category theory was when I accidentally picked up a copy of the mis-leadingly titled "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch. My brother, Minhyong Kim, who is an actual mathematician, has always told me vignettes of category theory, so this time I am actually hoping to learn more than just parroting his words.

Comments

edited April 2018

Great to see you here, Junyhong! I'm sorry I can't go to your mathematical biology meeting. I'm glad you've come to my course. You'll see we're well on our way through Chapter 1 of Seven Sketches. There are a lot of smart people here to talk to, including a bunch interested in biology. If you want to start a special discussion group on categories in biology that would be great: just click "New Discussion" at left and start it. So far we've only got one on computer science:

(For those not in the know, Junyhong's brother Minhyong was a good friend of mine when I was a postdoc at Yale and he was a grad student there. Now he's a pretty famous number theorist, or more precisely "arithmetic geometer". Minhyong and I talk about math whenever we can, but now my interests are drifting over toward Junyong's somewhat.)

Comment Source:Great to see you here, Junyhong! I'm sorry I can't go to your mathematical biology meeting. I'm glad you've come to my course. You'll see we're well on our way through Chapter 1 of _[Seven Sketches](http://math.mit.edu/~dspivak/teaching/sp18/7Sketches.pdf)_. There are a lot of smart people here to talk to, including a bunch interested in biology. If you want to start a special discussion group on categories in biology that would be great: just click "New Discussion" at left and start it. So far we've only got one on computer science: * [Categories for the Working Hacker - A Discussion Group](https://forum.azimuthproject.org/discussion/1782/categories-for-the-working-hacker-a-discussion-group). (For those not in the know, Junyhong's brother Minhyong was a good friend of mine when I was a postdoc at Yale and he was a grad student there. Now he's a pretty famous number theorist, or more precisely "arithmetic geometer". Minhyong and I talk about math whenever we can, but now my interests are drifting over toward Junyong's somewhat.)