Options

Introduction: Arshad Mahmood

edited April 2018 in Chat

Hi,

I am a mature student with the Open University in the United Kingdom, studying Mathematics & Physics. My goal is to start a PhD next year in some aspect of Quantum Gravity. I have been interested in Category Theory since reading the work that Chris Isham and Samson Abramsky have been doing in applying Category Theory to Mathematical Physics.

I have read the Pierce Book on Category Theory (my background is Computer Science), but I wouldn't say I have fully absorbed it. I am doing quite a bit of Pure Mathematics at part of my course with the OU and now is the right time to study the subject in greater detail.

Comments

Hello! Welcome to the Azimuth Forum.

I used to talk to Chris Isham when I was working on quantum gravity. I bet you didn't know he had a flight simulator in his home! He was always skeptical of all approaches to quantum gravity, believing they weren't radical enough. But then he fell in love with topos theory. I haven't seen that helping quantum gravity yet, but it's certainly a wonderful subject.

I haven't looked at Pierce's Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists. I should.

Comment Source:Hello! Welcome to the Azimuth Forum. I used to talk to Chris Isham when I was working on quantum gravity. I bet you didn't know he had a flight simulator in his home! He was always skeptical of all approaches to quantum gravity, believing they weren't radical enough. But then he fell in love with topos theory. I haven't seen that helping quantum gravity yet, but it's certainly a wonderful subject. I haven't looked at Pierce's _Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists_. I should.
    edited April 2018

Hi,

Fortunately I'm too old to to have any sense !. As for the Pierce book I could understand it quite well because I was doing a Theoretical Computer Science PhD at Edinburgh (where I believe he was a postdoc when I was a graduate student), so it made quite a lot of the more abstract stuff a bit more concrete for me.

Regards.

Comment Source:Hi, Fortunately I'm too old to to have any sense !. As for the Pierce book I could understand it quite well because I was doing a Theoretical Computer Science PhD at Edinburgh (where I believe he was a postdoc when I was a graduate student), so it made quite a lot of the more abstract stuff a bit more concrete for me. Regards.