Options

Introduction: Sophie Libkind

Hi all! A few years ago I did Part III at Cambridge where I took several category theory courses and wrote an essay on fibered categories. Despite all of this I never "felt it in my bones" the way I feel about other branches of mathematics. In this course, I'm hoping to gain more intuition about category theory and learn about how it can apply to real world relationships, e.g. the relationship between a branch and a tree or between all things that are the color yellow. While researching for my essay I stumbled upon the definitions of stuff, structure, and properties via category theory. They were beautiful and got to the heart of my intuition about these terms. I wonder how far this analogy can be pushed towards real-world stuff, structure, and properties.

Since Cambridge, I have been teaching middle school computer science but am leaving to start my PhD in math next fall!

Comments

edited April 16

Hello, Sophie! Good luck on your math PhD- do you know where you'll be doing it?

My friend and coauthor James Dolan was responsible for clarifying the trinity of stuff, structure and properties, and in particular giving the term "stuff" a precise definition. I popularized this and I'm glad to see to see it's now on the nLab making people happy. I'm not sure "stuff" (matter) in the real world comes before structure and properties, though Aristotle seemed to have some ideas like this.

Comment Source:Hello, Sophie! Good luck on your math PhD- do you know where you'll be doing it? My friend and coauthor James Dolan was responsible for clarifying the trinity of stuff, structure and properties, and in particular giving the term "stuff" a precise definition. I popularized this and I'm glad to see to see it's now on the nLab making people happy. I'm not sure "stuff" (matter) in the real world comes before structure and properties, though Aristotle seemed to have some ideas like this.