Options

Introduction: Bryn Keller

Hello everyone, I'm a long time software engineer who recently became a research scientist, with an interest in things like algebraic topology for data analysis, machine learning, and distributed systems. I've also done some work with using machine learning to help understand whales with Ocean Alliance. I became interested in category theory because of functional languages, but now that I'm doing a lot more math I am also interested in category theory as a unifying vocabulary and tool for thought across many disciplines. Looking forward to meeting everyone, it seems we have an interesting group!

Comments

Hello, Bryn! What's your research about these days? And what was the Ocean Alliance trying to understand about whales?

Comment Source:Hello, Bryn! What's your research about these days? And what was the Ocean Alliance trying to understand about whales?

Hi John, sorry for the delay - I've been working on applying persistent homology to medicinal chemistry, I'll have a paper to mention in a few days. I'm also interested in combining persistent homology with machine learning. The Ocean Alliance work (which I blogged at http://www.xoltar.org/posts/2018-04-26-whale-expedition/index.html if anyone's interested) was on using machine learning to evaluate the health of whales from drone video. It's early work, but resulted in a poster at the Society for Marine Mammology last year, and we're working now with an intern from U of Alaska Fairbanks to improve it and make it into a usable tool for whale biologists.

Comment Source:Hi John, sorry for the delay - I've been working on applying persistent homology to medicinal chemistry, I'll have a paper to mention in a few days. I'm also interested in combining persistent homology with machine learning. The Ocean Alliance work (which I blogged at http://www.xoltar.org/posts/2018-04-26-whale-expedition/index.html if anyone's interested) was on using machine learning to evaluate the health of whales from drone video. It's early work, but resulted in a poster at the Society for Marine Mammology last year, and we're working now with an intern from U of Alaska Fairbanks to improve it and make it into a usable tool for whale biologists.