Options

Introduction: John Beattie

Hi everyone. I'm a software engineer, working these days on large server systems for large clients. In the past I worked on embedded systems. I was an undergraduate in maths and physics about forty years ago. About twenty years ago I went back to university for an MSc in computer science.

Category theory keeps on coming to my attention: there is a passage in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance where Persig recalls repeatedly seeing references to some important area and compares it to driving along a road and repeatedly seeing signposts to some town. The message you get is that the town, area of study, or whatever, just might be important or at least relevant.

I tend to find that real life gets in the way of continuing study but I really do intend to keep up with this one. A deadline of 25th September is going to help :-)

Comments

Welcome, John!

Category theory is an amazing town. It takes a while to find your way around. But once you do, you see this town has quick, efficient roads to and from all other towns. And that's one reason it's so popular. It also has some amazing scenic attractions.

By the way, would you like me to change your username to John Beattie - i.e., insert a space? I either somehow forgot to do that or you were registered before the recent flood of students; during that flood I've been trying to give people spaces in their names, so you stand out.

If I did this, I'd email you about and you'd then be able to log in only using the new username.

Comment Source:Welcome, John! Category theory is an amazing town. It takes a while to find your way around. But once you do, you see _this town has quick, efficient roads to and from all other towns_. And that's one reason it's so popular. It also has some amazing scenic attractions. By the way, would you like me to change your username to John Beattie - i.e., insert a space? I either somehow forgot to do that or you were registered before the recent flood of students; during that flood I've been trying to give people spaces in their names, so you stand out. If I did this, I'd email you about and you'd then be able to log in only using the new username.