Options

Applied Category Theory Course - Caltech Study Group

Anyone who is interested in non-virtual meetings and can come to Caltech, please comment in this thread so we can get together.

Cheers, Eldad

Comments

I’m in!

I’ll see if I can talk to some more people and get them interested, and maybe kick around some days and times as well. Any thoughts on meeting places?

Comment Source:I’m in! I’ll see if I can talk to some more people and get them interested, and maybe kick around some days and times as well. Any thoughts on meeting places?

Great!

As for meeting places, how about Millikan library study group (9th floor of Millikan, we can reserve it in advance). There are also rooms for study groups in SFL. All should have whiteboards.

Comment Source:Great! As for meeting places, how about Millikan library study group (9th floor of Millikan, we can reserve it in advance). There are also rooms for study groups in SFL. All should have whiteboards.

Sounds good!

Comment Source:Sounds good!

I should be in the Pasadena area later in the summer for an internship, so if you don't mind a latecomer, I'll probably be able to join in then!

Comment Source:I should be in the Pasadena area later in the summer for an internship, so if you don't mind a latecomer, I'll probably be able to join in then!
    edited May 1

I'm a professional latecomer ;-)

Please drop us a line once you are around

Comment Source:I'm a professional latecomer ;-) Please drop us a line once you are around

Could you please provide detail on this if this is already set up, Eldad?

Comment Source:Could you please provide detail on this if this is already set up, Eldad?

Hi Watt, we have not set up any times as of yet. Are there any days/times that work better?

Comment Source:Hi Watt, we have not set up any times as of yet. Are there any days/times that work better?

Grant, Fri or Sat would be best for me (if ever possible).

Comment Source:Grant, Fri or Sat would be best for me (if ever possible).

How about Friday, May 18th 4-6pm ?

Comment Source:How about Friday, May 18th 4-6pm ?
    edited May 14

One thumb up for me for Fri. But not on the 18th though. I do have prior engagement for this Fri.

Comment Source:One thumb up for me for Fri. But not on the 18th though. I do have prior engagement for this Fri.

I'll be out all of this week, but back on Campus next week, do you want to shoot for next week?

Comment Source:I'll be out all of this week, but back on Campus next week, do you want to shoot for next week?

Grant, I am sorry to ask this now. Is this restricted to only CalTech students? If this meeting is open to public, I am good for next week.

Comment Source:Grant, I am sorry to ask this now. Is this restricted to only CalTech students? If this meeting is open to public, I am good for next week.

Next week I can do Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Thursday morning is currently open as well. In case we cannot find a time, I suggest you start without me and I'll join you on the following week.

Comment Source:Next week I can do Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Thursday morning is currently open as well. In case we cannot find a time, I suggest you start without me and I'll join you on the following week.

Eldad, what times Monday and Tuesday can you meet?

Watt, there's no restriction to Caltech students. What times Friday work for you? To be honest it will be difficult for me to commit to later times on Friday.

Comment Source:Eldad, what times Monday and Tuesday can you meet? Watt, there's no restriction to Caltech students. What times Friday work for you? To be honest it will be difficult for me to commit to later times on Friday.

On my end,

Monday is flexible; I'd prefer after 1pm, will have to leave by 5:30pm.

Tuesday 2pm and later

Mon, Tue and Thur I can do also after 9pm (specifically next week Thurs I'll be leaving town in the afternoon)

Comment Source:On my end, _Monday_ is flexible; I'd prefer after 1pm, will have to leave by 5:30pm. _Tuesday_ 2pm and later Mon, Tue and Thur I can do also after 9pm (specifically next week Thurs I'll be leaving town in the afternoon)

Eldad, ok sounds good. I'll have to wait until a little later this week to finalize my schedule for next week, but I'm generally pretty flexible during the week in the afternoons.

Comment Source:Eldad, ok sounds good. I'll have to wait until a little later this week to finalize my schedule for next week, but I'm generally pretty flexible during the week in the afternoons.

Thanks Grant. Late morning til late afternoon is good for me.

Comment Source:Thanks Grant. Late morning til late afternoon is good for me.

Eldad, would you be able to meet, even maybe briefly next Tues at 4:30?

Watt, could meet that Friday at 1:30?

I'll try to get the ball rolling and then hopefully we can all meet the following week.

Comment Source:Eldad, would you be able to meet, even maybe briefly next Tues at 4:30? Watt, could meet that Friday at 1:30? I'll try to get the ball rolling and then hopefully we can all meet the following week.

If I may interject, why not carry a paper with a chart of all the people possibly coming and all the future times, and then let people mark off when they are unavailable? Then you could look at a glance when the best time for a meeting would be.

Comment Source:If I may interject, why not carry a paper with a chart of all the people possibly coming and all the future times, and then let people mark off when they are unavailable? Then you could look at a glance when the best time for a meeting would be.

Hi Keith, it looks like at this point the only really feasible time for all three of us to possibly meet is Fridays, a bit earlier in the afternoon, otherwise, at least 1 of us can't make other time slots. Unfortunately, the group is a bit small, despite mine and Eldad's best efforts to drum up more interest in our respective circles on campus. If more people were interested, I think something like google calendar would be nice. Where u at? :) Maybe people are open to Skype or something, I don't know.

Comment Source:Hi Keith, it looks like at this point the only really feasible time for all three of us to possibly meet is Fridays, a bit earlier in the afternoon, otherwise, at least 1 of us can't make other time slots. Unfortunately, the group is a bit small, despite mine and Eldad's best efforts to drum up more interest in our respective circles on campus. If more people were interested, I think something like google calendar would be nice. Where u at? :) Maybe people are open to Skype or something, I don't know.

Does Caltech allow students to post up student advertisement around campus?

Comment Source:Does Caltech allow students to post up student advertisement around campus?

Hadn’t thought of that, yeah a few courses post flyers like that, usually new ones.

Comment Source:Hadn’t thought of that, yeah a few courses post flyers like that, usually new ones.
    edited May 17

Grant wrote:

Unfortunately, the group is a bit small...

How many people can talk about mathematics in a productive way? I find the conversation bogs down when you get more than three. At that point one must resort to "lectures", which are a lot less fun. Or, break the conversation into smaller conversations.

Comment Source:Grant wrote: > Unfortunately, the group is a bit small... How many people can talk about mathematics in a productive way? I find the conversation bogs down when you get more than three. At that point one must resort to "lectures", which are a lot less fun. Or, break the conversation into smaller conversations.

John, I would agree. The 'unfortunately' bit was more my hope to meet more people on campus and the greater LA area, to discuss science using category theory as a language, and look for applications. I find the academic groups on campus are pretty isolated for the most part, at least mine is, and not much work seems to go on across labs. This is more just a general lament I have I guess :( This is an awesome topic to bring diverse sets of people together (dare I say unify?)....and this course certainly serves as evidence of that! I think a small group will be great though for more focused discussions, and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Comment Source:John, I would agree. The 'unfortunately' bit was more my hope to meet more people on campus and the greater LA area, to discuss science using category theory as a language, and look for applications. I find the academic groups on campus are pretty isolated for the most part, at least mine is, and not much work seems to go on across labs. This is more just a general lament I have I guess :( This is an awesome topic to bring diverse sets of people together (dare I say unify?)....and this course certainly serves as evidence of that! I think a small group will be great though for more focused discussions, and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Grant, Fri at 1:30 pm is great for me. Look forward to the meeting.

Comment Source:Grant, Fri at 1:30 pm is great for me. Look forward to the meeting.

Sounds good Watt, see you next Friday!

Comment Source:Sounds good Watt, see you next Friday!

Would you mind giving me your contact? Email is wpoosanguansit@yahoo.com. I guess it would be easier. Thanks.

Comment Source:Would you mind giving me your contact? Email is wpoosanguansit@yahoo.com. I guess it would be easier. Thanks.

Sure Watt, grantroy at_sign caltech.edu

Comment Source:Sure Watt, grantroy at_sign caltech.edu

Grant wrote:

The 'unfortunately' bit was more my hope to meet more people on campus and the greater LA area, to discuss science using category theory as a language, and look for applications.

If you get a core of people talking about categories (or whatever) on a regular basis, and then continually advertise - especially through word of mouth, but maybe also some posters on bulletin boards - I bet other people will join.

Comment Source:Grant wrote: > The 'unfortunately' bit was more my hope to meet more people on campus and the greater LA area, to discuss science using category theory as a language, and look for applications. If you get a core of people talking about categories (or whatever) on a regular basis, and then continually advertise - especially through word of mouth, but maybe also some posters on bulletin boards - I bet other people will join.

[ACT GS] SFL 229, 4:30pm - 6:30pm Tuesday, May 22, 2018

First meeting at Sherman Fairchild Library (SFL), Group Study Room (GSR) 229

Future meetings would probably take place on Friday afternoons.

Everyone is invited (would be nice if you drop a line here, in case you know you are coming).

See you soon!

Comment Source:**[ACT GS] SFL 229, 4:30pm - 6:30pm Tuesday, May 22, 2018** First meeting at [Sherman Fairchild Library](https://goo.gl/maps/7mqt5M28HN22) (SFL), Group Study Room (GSR) 229 Future meetings would probably take place on Friday afternoons. Everyone is invited (would be nice if you drop a line here, in case you know you are coming). See you soon!

I was able to book the same room, SFL 229 1:30-3:30 this Friday the 25th.

Eldad, I'll be there tomorrow, looking forward to it.

John, yes hopefully some momentum builds on campus, and interesting discussions and intersections start to emerge. We'll get started!

Comment Source:I was able to book the same room, **SFL 229 1:30-3:30 this Friday the 25th.** Eldad, I'll be there tomorrow, looking forward to it. John, yes hopefully some momentum builds on campus, and interesting discussions and intersections start to emerge. We'll get started!