Options

Introduction: Colin Backhurst

Hi All,

I've just been reading through some of the other Introductions. Wow. A huge variation of people and some of them much higher powered than me. I'm also a bit late to this course so I've been spending the past few days frantically trying to catch up.

My background. I graduated in mathematics from Cambridge (UK) in 1982. I started work as a systems engineer - designing electronics to test other bits of electronics. Then I worked as a mathematical modeller - mainly working in control theory and designing Kalman filters. Now I'm a software engineer - working on algorithms to do vehicle routing and scheduling.

I've always been interested in maths and always want to learn more. I first came across Category Theory about 10 or so years ago when I found John's This Weeks Finds site. I've been reading Mac Lane's Categories for the Working Mathematician but have found it quite hard to get the concepts to stick - hopefully I will learn more on this course.

Outside of maths I like music (and yes from my age you can guess I was a punk) and solving geocaching puzzles