Options

Introduction: David Terry

Hello from Santa Barbara California! I’m a semi-retired scientist/engineer, having spent the past 3 to 4 decades working in “defense contracting”. My interest in Category Theory stems from following “John Baez’s Stuff” over so many years. I have only cursory knowledge provided by reading (and more often just skimming) his online content, so I viewed this as a chance to learn some real math. My actual training was theoretical physics (my Ph.D. thesis in 1982 involved SO(10) and the s-quark mass) so I at one time I had a working knowledge of group theory, although my career tried to make me a jack of all trades but master of none. I spent a lot of time working in atmospheric physics and turbulence theory, including some Navier-Stokes, so I have an interest there. Additionally, my best friend is a Philosophy professor that teaches logic – so maybe Category Theory gives us some common ground?

Well, it seems I'm 2 months behind already ...

Comments

edited June 19

Hi David, and welcome! I used to travel to Santa Barbara often to visit a college friend who settled there; a lovely place.

I also started late and am still trying to catch up. It seems that a few people still visit the older chapters, so be sure to post your questions. If you can get caught up to chapter N-1 relative to the class, I think you'll see more traffic and active discussion.

When you're viewing a post, you can click on "Applied Category Theory Course" under Categories in the sidebar to see recent activity. This forum doesn't seem to have good notifications, so checking for recent activity seems to be the only way to notice if someone has posted in a thread where you asked a question.

Comment Source:Hi David, and welcome! I used to travel to Santa Barbara often to visit a college friend who settled there; a lovely place. I also started late and am still trying to catch up. It seems that a few people still visit the older chapters, so be sure to post your questions. If you can get caught up to chapter N-1 relative to the class, I think you'll see more traffic and active discussion. When you're viewing a post, you can click on "Applied Category Theory Course" under Categories in the sidebar to see recent activity. This forum doesn't seem to have good notifications, so checking for recent activity seems to be the only way to notice if someone has posted in a thread where you asked a question.

Welcome, David! A lot of great work in logic these days uses category theory, and you'll see a taste of that in Chapters 1 and 2 - though just a tiny taste.

Sorry, notifications are busted by the fact that I liked seeing people's names with a space in them, like David Terry instead of DavidTerry. Nobody told me until it was too late to be easy to fix! We've been using this forum for years, and nobody ever mentioned it.

But if someone wants to get someone's attention, they can send 'em a message using the little thing that looks like an envelope at upper left of this page.

Comment Source:Welcome, David! A lot of great work in logic these days uses category theory, and you'll see a taste of that in Chapters 1 and 2 - though just a tiny taste. Sorry, notifications are busted by the fact that I liked seeing people's names with a space in them, like David Terry instead of DavidTerry. Nobody told me until it was too late to be easy to fix! We've been using this forum for years, and nobody ever mentioned it. But if someone wants to get someone's attention, they can send 'em a message using the little thing that looks like an envelope at upper left of this page.