Options

Introduction: Abel Sagodi

Hi everyone!

I am a Master student in Mathematics and in Computational Science at the University of Amsterdam. I have a Bachelor in Mathematics, Physics and in Neuroscience.

I started fantasizing about applications of Category Theory in linguistics during my first course on the subject. I was happy to stumble upon the paper "Towards a Categorical Theory of Creativity for Music, Discourse, and Cognition" through which I came in contact with Ehresmann. She gave me some nice research directions how to apply Memory Evolutive Systems to neuroscience. Still working on this. Since, I had been considering different possibilities of applying Category Theory, but so far I am just trying to read up on the existing literature. More recently, I learned about John and the Azimuth project through a poster of the Applied Category Theory workshop in Leiden.

Currently, I am looking for a project for my Master's thesis on Applied Category Theory in Neuroscience.

Comments

If I recall, doesn't categorical neuroscience have a lot of colimits in it?

Comment Source:If I recall, doesn't categorical neuroscience have a lot of colimits in it?

That is indeed one way to look at it! We can define the colimit of a pattern as the neuron (or neural ensemble) that it "projects" to, i.e. the neuron(s) that are functionally interconnected to the pattern which we could define in their way of firing.

Comment Source:That is indeed one way to look at it! We can define the colimit of a pattern as the neuron (or neural ensemble) that it "projects" to, i.e. the neuron(s) that are functionally interconnected to the pattern which we could define in their way of firing.

Welcome, Abel!

If you're interested in categories and neuroscience I hope you watch this talk by a friend of mine at Applied Category Theory 2018:

She's a homotopy theorist who does a lot of work with neuroscientists; you can find a lot of papers of hers on her website I think... but they use topology, not category theory.

Comment Source:Welcome, Abel! If you're interested in categories and neuroscience I hope you watch this talk by a friend of mine at Applied Category Theory 2018: * Kathryn Hess, [Towards a categorical approach to neuroscience](https://youtu.be/1TyNInHXLcE). She's a homotopy theorist who does a lot of work with neuroscientists; you can find a lot of papers of hers on her website I think... but they use topology, not category theory.

Thank you for the recommendation, although I have watched it before. In fact, I talked to prof. Hess and do a project in her research team next year!

Comment Source:Thank you for the recommendation, although I have watched it before. In fact, I talked to prof. Hess and do a project in her research team next year!