Options

Categories for Optics

New paper by Mitchell Riley, putting optics - the technique popularised in Haskell for accessing and modifying state in a highly general way - on a sound categorical footing.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.00738

Despite being familiar with lens/optics usage in Haskell, I'm finding this paper very difficult, although this course has certainly helped. Profunctors feature heavily of course, as do end/coends, which I have so far found impenetrable.

Comments

edited September 7

I glimpsed over the first page, and what I knew for years as getters and setters - just functions which allow you to do additional stuff while modifying a property, here called a lens, or in other words lens is a readable and writeable property. I wonder whether other stuff, like prisms, may bring something new to the table (don't know what are these though). Maybe someone who knows this better may explain in layman terms?

Comment Source:I glimpsed over the first page, and what I knew for years as **getters** and **setters** - just functions which allow you to do additional stuff while modifying a **property**, here called a **lens**, or in other words lens is a readable and writeable property. I wonder whether other stuff, like prisms, may bring something new to the table (don't know what are these though). Maybe someone who knows this better may explain in layman terms?