Options

18.S097: Programming with Categories

Hi!

is anyone attending the course remotely? So far I find it very interesting and well taught.

http://brendanfong.com/programmingcats.html

Cheers,

Ubaldo

Comments

I'm attending from NZ! I've been programming in Haskell for a few years, which is how I found these lectures.

Comment Source:I'm attending from NZ! I've been programming in Haskell for a few years, which is how I found these lectures.

Hi,

I'm a software developer watching the videos from Canada. I try to use concepts from Math and Category Theory in development projects. This might be a good time and opportunity to finally learn some Haskell. I hope to write a few comments as the course progresses. Thank you Brendan, Bartosz, and David.

Ken

Comment Source:Hi, I'm a software developer watching the videos from Canada. I try to use concepts from Math and Category Theory in development projects. This might be a good time and opportunity to finally learn some Haskell. I hope to write a few comments as the course progresses. Thank you Brendan, Bartosz, and David. Ken

Hi, I'm "attending" from Cambridge, UK; we've a small learning group (in Russian) in Telegram, too

Comment Source:Hi, I'm "attending" from Cambridge, UK; we've a small learning group (in Russian) in Telegram, too

I'm watching from Cleveland, OH. Hoping to improve my Swift through Haskell

Comment Source:I'm watching from Cleveland, OH. Hoping to improve my Swift through Haskell
    edited January 14

Are you planning to do the Problem Sets too? Do you think it could be useful to create separate discussions for each Problem Set?

BTW, I am attending the course from Italy.

Comment Source:Are you planning to do the Problem Sets too? Do you think it could be useful to create separate discussions for each Problem Set? BTW, I am attending the course from Italy.

Hello! Attending from Boston, but virtually. Glad to see you all here :)

For the "7 sketches" course, each question (not each problem set) had its own post. Something similar might work well here.

Comment Source:Hello! Attending from Boston, but virtually. Glad to see you all here :) For the "7 sketches" course, each question (not each problem set) had its own post. Something similar might work well here.

Good idea. I just created a categories for Programming with Categories Course, and another category for exercises for the course.

Comment Source:Good idea. I just created a categories for Programming with Categories Course, and another category for exercises for the course.
    Comment Source:Created a wiki-page to make navigation of this discussion page easier, similar to [https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Applied+Category+Theory+Course](https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Applied+Category+Theory+Course): [https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Programming+With+Categories+Course](https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Programming+With+Categories+Course)
    edited January 15

Hello everyone! I'm David from Colombia but I'm attending from Spain hoping to learn a lot.

Comment Source:Hello everyone! I'm David from Colombia but I'm attending from Spain hoping to learn a lot.

@JakeGillberg, thanks! Bookmarked :)

Comment Source:@JakeGillberg, thanks! Bookmarked :)
    edited January 15

Attending from my couch in Lexington, KY :) I'm a mathematician working as a software developer. I really enjoyed Bartosz's category theory course and some of David's lectures. I'm super excited to learn Haskell in this context!

@JakeGillberg, thanks for the invite and great work on the page! Is the idea to ask questions or comment solutions on the exercises?

Comment Source:Attending from my couch in Lexington, KY :) I'm a mathematician working as a software developer. I really enjoyed Bartosz's category theory course and some of David's lectures. I'm super excited to learn Haskell in this context! @JakeGillberg, thanks for the invite and great work on the page! Is the idea to ask questions or comment solutions on the exercises?

@IssacDeFrain Yup, feel free to add your solutions or questions to the exercises on the exercise-specific thread (or create new exercise threads for exercises that you come up with or unposted exercises). Feel free to also contribute to the discussion in the lecture-specific threads or ask general questions here!

Comment Source:@IssacDeFrain Yup, feel free to add your solutions or questions to the exercises on the exercise-specific thread (or create new exercise threads for exercises that you come up with or unposted exercises). Feel free to also contribute to the discussion in the lecture-specific threads or ask general questions here!

@JakeGillberg Thanks for creating that syllabus page. I put a link to it in the announcement discussion. The announcement will serve as the "front door" for materials on the course.

Comment Source:@JakeGillberg Thanks for creating that syllabus page. I put a link to it in the announcement discussion. The announcement will serve as the "front door" for materials on the course.

Just a university student from Ottawa that finds this topic interesting!

Comment Source:Just a university student from Ottawa that finds this topic interesting!