Options

18.S097: Programming with Categories

Hi!

is anyone attending the course remotely? So far I find it very interesting and well taught.

http://brendanfong.com/programmingcats.html

Cheers,

Ubaldo

Comments

I'm attending from NZ! I've been programming in Haskell for a few years, which is how I found these lectures.

Comment Source:I'm attending from NZ! I've been programming in Haskell for a few years, which is how I found these lectures.

Hi,

I'm a software developer watching the videos from Canada. I try to use concepts from Math and Category Theory in development projects. This might be a good time and opportunity to finally learn some Haskell. I hope to write a few comments as the course progresses. Thank you Brendan, Bartosz, and David.

Ken

Comment Source:Hi, I'm a software developer watching the videos from Canada. I try to use concepts from Math and Category Theory in development projects. This might be a good time and opportunity to finally learn some Haskell. I hope to write a few comments as the course progresses. Thank you Brendan, Bartosz, and David. Ken

Hi, I'm "attending" from Cambridge, UK; we've a small learning group (in Russian) in Telegram, too

Comment Source:Hi, I'm "attending" from Cambridge, UK; we've a small learning group (in Russian) in Telegram, too

I'm watching from Cleveland, OH. Hoping to improve my Swift through Haskell

Comment Source:I'm watching from Cleveland, OH. Hoping to improve my Swift through Haskell
    edited January 14

Are you planning to do the Problem Sets too? Do you think it could be useful to create separate discussions for each Problem Set?

BTW, I am attending the course from Italy.

Comment Source:Are you planning to do the Problem Sets too? Do you think it could be useful to create separate discussions for each Problem Set? BTW, I am attending the course from Italy.

Hello! Attending from Boston, but virtually. Glad to see you all here :)

For the "7 sketches" course, each question (not each problem set) had its own post. Something similar might work well here.

Comment Source:Hello! Attending from Boston, but virtually. Glad to see you all here :) For the "7 sketches" course, each question (not each problem set) had its own post. Something similar might work well here.

Good idea. I just created a categories for Programming with Categories Course, and another category for exercises for the course.

Comment Source:Good idea. I just created a categories for Programming with Categories Course, and another category for exercises for the course.
    Comment Source:Created a wiki-page to make navigation of this discussion page easier, similar to [https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Applied+Category+Theory+Course](https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Applied+Category+Theory+Course): [https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Programming+With+Categories+Course](https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Programming+With+Categories+Course)
    edited January 15

Hello everyone! I'm David from Colombia but I'm attending from Spain hoping to learn a lot.

Comment Source:Hello everyone! I'm David from Colombia but I'm attending from Spain hoping to learn a lot.

@JakeGillberg, thanks! Bookmarked :)

Comment Source:@JakeGillberg, thanks! Bookmarked :)
    edited January 15

Attending from my couch in Lexington, KY :) I'm a mathematician working as a software developer. I really enjoyed Bartosz's category theory course and some of David's lectures. I'm super excited to learn Haskell in this context!

@JakeGillberg, thanks for the invite and great work on the page! Is the idea to ask questions or comment solutions on the exercises?

Comment Source:Attending from my couch in Lexington, KY :) I'm a mathematician working as a software developer. I really enjoyed Bartosz's category theory course and some of David's lectures. I'm super excited to learn Haskell in this context! @JakeGillberg, thanks for the invite and great work on the page! Is the idea to ask questions or comment solutions on the exercises?

@IssacDeFrain Yup, feel free to add your solutions or questions to the exercises on the exercise-specific thread (or create new exercise threads for exercises that you come up with or unposted exercises). Feel free to also contribute to the discussion in the lecture-specific threads or ask general questions here!

Comment Source:@IssacDeFrain Yup, feel free to add your solutions or questions to the exercises on the exercise-specific thread (or create new exercise threads for exercises that you come up with or unposted exercises). Feel free to also contribute to the discussion in the lecture-specific threads or ask general questions here!

@JakeGillberg Thanks for creating that syllabus page. I put a link to it in the announcement discussion. The announcement will serve as the "front door" for materials on the course.

Comment Source:@JakeGillberg Thanks for creating that syllabus page. I put a link to it in the announcement discussion. The announcement will serve as the "front door" for materials on the course.

Just a university student from Ottawa that finds this topic interesting!

Comment Source:Just a university student from Ottawa that finds this topic interesting!

Hi! I'm attending from London, UK. I watched and read Bartosz's Category Theory for Programmers at the end of last year; I'm in enjoying this course as a good follow on.

Comment Source:Hi! I'm attending from London, UK. I watched and read Bartosz's Category Theory for Programmers at the end of last year; I'm in enjoying this course as a good follow on.

Hi everybody. Things got too complicated with keeping the exercises out of recent discussions and manually notifying. So I scrapped it. There aren't that many exercises, and they will percolate downwards as they get completed. Best Regards

Comment Source:Hi everybody. Things got too complicated with keeping the exercises out of recent discussions and manually notifying. So I scrapped it. There aren't that many exercises, and they will percolate downwards as they get completed. Best Regards

Hi, I am attending from Mexico. This is a great follow on Bartosz's first course.

Comment Source:Hi, I am attending from Mexico. This is a great follow on Bartosz's first course.
    edited February 3

Hi, I'd like to continue with the work started by @LeifMecalf, @KenWebb and @EricRogstad, on putting up separate discussions for each of the lectures. Leif had the initial idea, Ken started a good discussion on one of the lectures, and Eric had the cool idea to use an inline link to the YouTube.

I added a couple of touches to the pattern, with a link to David Dalyrmple's class summary, an informative title, and applied the idea from @JakeGillberg of adding Next and Prev Links.

For examples of this pattern, see the two discussions which I just added:

I got the titles from David Dalyrmple's class summaries, which are here.

If anyone feels like contributing with some "clerical" effort, feel free to continue...

Also, Leif, Ken and Eric, would be willing to edit your discussions to put them into this format? You can see how I did it with the "view source" option on the menu-gear for my posts. Or if you're busy, or run into hassles with it, would it be ok for me to admin edit it? Let's discuss via messaging.

Once they're all in, we can add the next and prev links.

It will look nice when it's done!

Thanks, Dave

Comment Source:Hi, I'd like to continue with the work started by @LeifMecalf, @KenWebb and @EricRogstad, on putting up separate discussions for each of the lectures. Leif had the initial idea, Ken started a good discussion on one of the lectures, and Eric had the cool idea to use an inline link to the YouTube. I added a couple of touches to the pattern, with a link to David Dalyrmple's class summary, an informative title, and applied the idea from @JakeGillberg of adding Next and Prev Links. For examples of this pattern, see the two discussions which I just added: * [Lecture 4 - Functors and natural transformations - David Spivak](https://forum.azimuthproject.org/discussion/2449/lecture-4-functors-and-natural-transformations-david-spivak) * [Lecture 5 - Functors in Haskell - Bartosz Milewski](https://forum.azimuthproject.org/discussion/2450/lecture-5-functors-in-haskell-bartosz-milewski) I got the titles from David Dalyrmple's class summaries, which are [here](https://roamresearch.com/#/app/programming-with-categories/page/4PUHYRX13). If anyone feels like contributing with some "clerical" effort, feel free to continue... Also, Leif, Ken and Eric, would be willing to edit your discussions to put them into this format? You can see how I did it with the "view source" option on the menu-gear for my posts. Or if you're busy, or run into hassles with it, would it be ok for me to admin edit it? Let's discuss via messaging. Once they're all in, we can add the next and prev links. It will look nice when it's done! Thanks, Dave

@DavidTanzer Thanks for the shout-out. Feel free to admin edit mine!

Comment Source:@DavidTanzer Thanks for the shout-out. Feel free to admin edit mine!

@DavidTanzer Feel free to re-use any discussion I've been part of. I like your idea about setting up the separate Lecture discussions, using the pattern. I can help with this, probably this weekend. Let me know what needs to be done, via messaging or in this forum.

I'm continuing to explore functional programming and Haskell. I still have a lot of questions about the course material.

Comment Source:@DavidTanzer Feel free to re-use any discussion I've been part of. I like your idea about setting up the separate Lecture discussions, using the pattern. I can help with this, probably this weekend. Let me know what needs to be done, via messaging or in this forum. I'm continuing to explore functional programming and Haskell. I still have a lot of questions about the course material.