Options

Question 1.1 - Functions in mathematics and Haskell

Functions in mathematics and Haskell.

Suppose \(f : Int \to Int \) sends an integer to its square, \(f(x) := x^2 \) and that \(g : Int \to Int \) sends an integer to its successor, \(g(x) := x+ 1\).

(a) Write \(f \) and \(g \) in Haskell, including their type signature and their implementation.

(b) Let \(h := f◦g \). What is \(h(2) \)?

(c) Let \(i := f ; g \). What is \(i(2) \)?

Comments

Comment Source:My answer: https://paste.sr.ht/%7Eleif/42cc64b988ce44a69dbfc16ab88a0c37237665ba

what is meant by $f;g$?

Comment Source:what is meant by $f;g$?
    edited January 18

@HanifBinAriffin: \(f;g\) means apply \(f\), then apply \(g\). It's the opposite order of operations than \(f \circ g\), which means apply \(g\) then \(f\).

In \(f;g\) the data flows "forwards" from left to right (forward only because English reads from left to right), whereas in \(f \circ g\) it flows "backwards" from right to left.

Comment Source:@HanifBinAriffin: \\(f;g\\) means apply \\(f\\), then apply \\(g\\). It's the opposite order of operations than \\(f \circ g\\), which means apply \\(g\\) then \\(f\\). In \\(f;g\\) the data flows "forwards" from left to right (forward only because English reads from left to right), whereas in \\(f \circ g\\) it flows "backwards" from right to left.