Options

Notes Exercise 2.15

What kind of sorting does the mapping out of \(C \) to the walking isomorphism category define?

img

Comments

Hi @JakeGillberg, can you give the background on what is C and is meant by the mapping out of it. I don’t have the notes at hand, but I’m guessing that the setup is something like this?

The walking isomorphism is defined by the diagram I that you gave. C is an arbitrary category. The mapping out of C is some functor F from C to I. So the problem is asking about what structure (sorting) is induced by F on C?

Comment Source:Hi @JakeGillberg, can you give the background on what is C and is meant by the mapping out of it. I don’t have the notes at hand, but I’m guessing that the setup is something like this? The walking isomorphism is defined by the diagram I that you gave. C is an arbitrary category. The mapping out of C is some functor F from C to I. So the problem is asking about what structure (sorting) is induced by F on C?
    edited January 25

Yup, you got it! My intuition is that splitting Obj_C into any desired two (empty or non-empty) sets picks a functor F -> I, but I'm wondering if there is some structure I am not seeing.

Comment Source:Yup, you got it! My intuition is that splitting Obj_C into any desired two (empty or non-empty) sets picks a functor F -> I, but I'm wondering if there is some structure I am not seeing.